Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 with VK tacho not working

Staggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1, VK Wagon EFI 5.0L
Hi Guys,
I have been searching for a while and have come up with SFA, so I guess the first questions, will the VK tacho work with the V6? I know its wired up to the cluster properly as i had a Autometer Sports Comp Tacho on the dash and worked fine but the local boys in blue didnt like it so much.

second question, If it will work, which tacho needs to be in there 6 or V8, or do i need some form of conversion kit?

Cheers,
Kym

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
As far as i know tacho's come in 4,6 or 8 cylinder versions with some aftermarket ones having a switch to select which engine its being hooked up to. So if you have a 6 cyl tacho its gonna work with any engine with 6 cylinders in it.

Thats what i reckon i might be wrong though but some advice cant hurt

Uziman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E V6
My VH tacho won't work with my V6 as the older tacho's require a series of pulses to work correctly. The V6 puts out a voltage which rises and falls with the change in revs. Don't know whether it can be modified though, but that problem will be a thing of the past when i end up getting my VP Calais Dash installed :D

Staggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Would be interested to see the VP Dash once its installed Uziman... the K is gonna get a ground up rebuild in about 3 months so am after as many ideas as i can get..

You have answered my question tho, I thought that would be the case but just needed some clarification.
Cheers

Uziman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E V6
Its a bit of a work in progress at the moment just sorting out where to put all the warning lights as they won't fit into the original VH space.
Not sure when i can work on her next but will try and take a few pics next time i have the camera out...

Staggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sweet, shall look forward to seeing it.

For everyones info, I called a Gaugeworks (on port rd if u live in adelaide) and $180 to get the tacho working, drive in drive out service. Basically putting new guts in the tacho and calibrating it to line up with the original face and to work with the V6. I personally think its money well spent, cheaper than a decent after market one and still keeps the dash lookin stock ;)