Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 5l 5 spd into vrvs ute wagon or sadan is it easy?

lucasgixer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute 5L
Hi hoping some of you may be able to answer some questions i have

basically i bought a wrecked vs ute (not stat write off) all running gear is fine chassis maybe bent but cab is smashed and it seems to much trouble to replace and expensive i have hopes of purchasing another
vr vs/ute/sadan/wagon to transfer the 5L 5spd and the like into
the question i have is if i purchase a v6 am i able to just swap it all over obviously using the K frame from the ute?
Also living in W.A. and this being a standard engine from the factory for these cars i am assuming i would not need an engineers certificate just need to notify
the registration office of the new engine number for the chassis if anybody has done this or knows somebody that has that can give me some information that would be greatly appreciated

thanks

FusionX

Reaction score
Being in W.A. you will still need to send off a modification application to the Department of Transport before doing the engine swap. Having had dealings with the vehicle safety and standards mob before, it can be a bit hit and miss on whether you will need any engineering certificates.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
You shouldnt need an engineers cert at all, these cars came out standard with the 304's so just remove the k frame and drop in the 304.

Id be surprised if WA laws ruled against it, as its fine in NSW and we're by far the strictest state for car mods....