Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v8 carby

squiblex

UNSEEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
hey im just wondering wat sort of carby i should get for my 308 black motor.. i have a rochester on it at the moment but i got told there pretty wasteful with fuel i wanna know if theres any better carbys i can get for better fuel economy but still have some poke wen i want it?? i got suggested a 600 holly, is that a good choice or is there a better option???

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
a properly tuned Rochester is fine on fuel, it might not be the carby itself but more of the condition of it, put a rebuild through it and get it tuned properly and I'm sure you'll get fine mileage out of it.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
who told you that?!?!? man you gotta give that dude a slap.

quaddys have something like 250 cfm primarys. if you want better fuel economy then tighten up the secondary butterfly spring up really tight so they dont open as much.

tuning rebuilding etc in here: https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...odify-quadrajets-also-vac-hose-diagram.121828

are you talking about the secondary airflap spring ?
Wouldn't tightening that spring cause the old 'quad bog' ie secondaries will bog down/flat spot until the airflap opens ?

to the OP, if you want better fuel economy don't bother with a Holley! A properly setup Quadrajet is one of the most economical 4 barrel carbs especially when driven on primaries

squiblex

UNSEEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
who told you that?!?!? man you gotta give that dude a slap.

lol i have a lot of think they know it all friends haha yea an my fuel line has a return on it .. is that normal for an 8 or is it just for the type of carby on it?? an its blocked off by the way is that ok ??? lol would it be worthe rebuilding myself or safer to get a proffetinal to do it ??

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
Seriously, stick with the quaddy. The primaries are smaller on a quaddy than on most hollies and the secondaries are bigger on a quaddy than on most hollies, which means better fuel economy when youre just cruising along and more fuel when you boot it so more power. The quaddy on my vb which has a 308 black motor in it was running like a dog when i got the car, i took it to a tuner who knows quaddies like the back of his hand and now i get much better fuel economy when i drive it like a granny and more power when i give it a squirt. It cost me about $150 to get my quaddy tuned on a dyno and ive been very happy with it, definately worth getting it tuned. I spoke to my tuner about hollies and he said not to bother as you can modify quaddies to work on any 308 set up including strokers. Basically what im saying is get your quaddy tuned properly and you will be amazed with the results, i certainly was and it works out a damn sight cheaper than setting up a holley. Oh and hollies are technically illegal for the street. Hope this helps

squiblex

UNSEEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
cheers for the advice sounds smarter an cheaper to stick wit the rochester gonna have to wait til next week to get it tuned, that an i get my trans serviced too haha :D

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
a properly tuned Rochester is fine on fuel, it might not be the carby itself but more of the condition of it, put a rebuild through it and get it tuned properly and I'm sure you'll get fine mileage out of it.

I'd have to agree with tyat^^^^^^