Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v8 conversion

boganracing

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
hi all, i currently have a v6 vs berlina but also have a 185i 304 and auto sitting in my shed with the main engine wiring harness and computer and a v8 dash cluster, my question is whats involved with fitting it to my berlina and how much would it roughtly cost to pay someone to do the conversion?

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Should only take you and a mate a weekend if you have half an idea. You WILL need the K- Frame from the v8 to fit it. Other then that its a really easy swap. The fuel pump is fine from the v6 to run the v8 and the dash should all be the same. I did a swap into a Calais with a friend in about 8 hours but we only had an engine crane and a basic set of tools....

But if it was to go to a shop then id say (at a guess) it could cost up to $1000

boganracing

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
yeah k frame i still need to get but should be able to get it pretty easy, what about steering racks? a mate attempted this conversion a while ago and gave up saying it was 2 hard, he said the steering rack is different so he got a v8 one and reckone the whole steering colum needs to be changed 2? he also have all the dash apart changing wires under there? is all that nessisary? ive only ever done v8 conversions on a kingswood and there easy as with no electronics or k-frames to be swaped

azzaholic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S1
the steering rack should be the same and the wiring in the dash don't need to be touched, if you have any problems with the changeover though feel free to post more on here with what you have done and one of us can get back to you with an answer. I have actually done quite a fair few of these in last few years

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Yeah I just called my mate who I did the conversion with and he said the steering racks are the same and you will only need to replace the K Frame. He said he had an Auto Elec hook up his speedo and that was about it. The Steering column is the same also. Get in and do it mate, its pretty straight forward...

jesse_lankey

what to put here?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 Ute
If I were you I'd just go for it, You should maybe consider a rebuild/refresh just to insure that it will run nicely when it's finished, you dont want to put the 304 in and have it blowing smoke or noisy lifters and then have to pull it out again... Just a suggestion

boganracing

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
thanks everyone for the advise sounds pretty simple just gotta talk the missus into walking to work so i can pull the car apart lol