Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 coolant overflow tank - gasket under lid?

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
The V8 and V6 coolant overflow tanks are different, so I read.
On my V8 one, every time I go over these stupid speed bumps near my place, the coolant splashes around inside the tank, and a small amount dribbles down the outside of the tank. Is there supposed to be some kind of gasket or seal under the lid to make it fit better and stop this happening?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not that I'm aware off but the lid should clip down over the lip of the overflow bottle.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
The lid does in fact clip down.
And it's reasonably hard enough to open, not loose or anything.
Neither does it wiggle from side to side.
It just doesn't make a water tight seal, and if coolant splashes around inside some finds it's way out.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Check that the overflow outlet tube in the lid and hose aren't blocked.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
Ive had the exact same thing the coolant leaks out from under the cap, there probably was a seal there once upon a time however I fixed it by using teflon tape (plumbers thread tape)

Just wrap that around the lip on the coolant overflow bottle where the cap clips on.

You do need to replace it each time you undo the cap though, as it unwinds. It is tape after all.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay, now we're getting somewhere.
I have a roll of electrical tape that is only 12mm wide so I might try a bit of that, and if it is a total failure then I'll get some teflon and give it a go.
The overflow is definitely not blocked because on a 40° day with the a/c going when you turn it off above a certain temp it boils over and spews about 2 cups worth of coolant on the ground through the overflow hose. Next summer I'll have to get an overflow for the overflow and *concatenate* them.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
*concatenate*

Huh, what? :confused: Big word. *gets dictionary - can't find word, uses google* Aha. Der, that makes sense. :doh: Learned something more than just car stuff. :thumbsup:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay, now we're getting somewhere.
I have a roll of electrical tape that is only 12mm wide so I might try a bit of that, and if it is a total failure then I'll get some teflon and give it a go.
The overflow is definitely not blocked because on a 40° day with the a/c going when you turn it off above a certain temp it boils over and spews about 2 cups worth of coolant on the ground through the overflow hose. Next summer I'll have to get an overflow for the overflow and *concatenate* them.

Radiator cap is stuffed. It shouldn't boil over when the engine is shut down, that only happens when the system isn't holding it's pressure properly.

Might solve your other problem too.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
You should be able to buy the seal between the overflow bottle and cap as a genuine part. It's self adhesive and made of an expanded foam material.