Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v8 engine idle way to high

salev8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8
hey i just put a 5ltr out of a vn in to a vs and when i started it the revs wont drop below 2.5 thou it ran for bout 5 mins an the drivers side extractors were glowing bright red. What could cause this issue?????

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
The extractors are glowing read cos it was sitting and 2.5thou with no air cooling for 5mins...
Check your wiring, your idle control valve may be shagged.. are you getting any error codes?

aZk.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sounds like a vacuum leak and the RHS was running very lean.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Make sure you haven't overtightened the throttle cable. There needs to be around 10-15mm of slack in the cable.

salev8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8
cheers there are no codes cumin up at all. i'll cheak the control valve. could the leads be one out on the dizzy also i'm not sure if there in the right spot?

salev8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8
The throttle cable is a little slak but i just niticed there is no hose from the break booster to the back of the engine is that part of the vacume everything els is in the right spot just doubble cheaked the leads also. The idle control vale is working coz i swapped it with a the one off the old motor but no difference??? tHIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS lol

salev8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8
:beer chug: Thanks for all the advise peoples just had a dude on my street look at it an the screw on the throttle body was way to far in unwound it an the revs dropped. Still going to cheak out this lean problem thanks again.:beer chug:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If there is no hose to the brake booster, then my guess would be that is where your vacuum leak is. That would cause the high idle and the glowing extractor.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
If there is no hose to the brake booster, then my guess would be that is where your vacuum leak is. That would cause the high idle and the glowing extractor.

I guess he will find out when he drives it and finds he has no brake power at all...

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
It is not a good idea to adjust the throttle body screw as they are factory set and the IAC valve will set the idle speed. Get a hose on that Vacuum booster it is your main vacuum control and as said no hose no brakes.