Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v8 kilometres?

rang427

3.6 luxury spec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 3.6 SIDI
hi all i am thinking of upgrading my v6 calais to a v8 calais... looking online there are a couple with a few kms on it. these are all S1 vehicles there is one with 150,000 odd kms. is that reasonable?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
VE??? An early one is 6 - 7 years old now. Average 25(ish) a year will get you 150-175k so yeah.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
i'm guessing you're wondering if 150,000 kms is too many k's for an ss and if you'll run into problems pretty quick with that many kms etc.. im wondering the same.. i got a vz sv6 and looking to buy a ve ss. most of them for sale have clocked up 130,000+ for the 20k mark. I think if you find one that hasnt been thrashed ie riven to work everyday by an older man/woman then 150,000 kms is nothing for a v8 if the oils been changed regularly etc...?

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
My 06 VZ SS with the L76 (same engine as VE) has just hit 182,000 and still running as good as it was when I bought it at 118,000, maybe even better.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Nothing wrong with 150,000 as long as it has a service history. Remember it's a V8 so the motor works less than a 4 or 6 for the same result. 150,000 on a V8 is about the same as 90,000 on a 4. Don't expect no problems though as things that normally wear and tear are ready to happen e.g alternators, hoses and rubbers,

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
i'm guessing you're wondering if 150,000 kms is too many k's for an ss and if you'll run into problems pretty quick with that many kms etc.. im wondering the same.. i got a vz sv6 and looking to buy a ve ss. most of them for sale have clocked up 130,000+ for the 20k mark. I think if you find one that hasnt been thrashed ie riven to work everyday by an older man/woman then 150,000 kms is nothing for a v8 if the oils been changed regularly etc...?

It's a lottery and a half. Get a good one that's been looked after and hasn't had the ring thrashed out of it and you will easily get twice that with minimal issue. Get one that's only had 1/2 arsed maintenance or set the land speed record on every trip to the milk bar then you are far more likely to have problems. There are often plenty of tell tale signs but sometimes you can just be plain un/lucky.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
MY11 with 120k km dynos figures are up, better economy than at first service, will keep till 400k km.
In the US you don't get to post your long mileage on a G8 until after 200k miles (320k km), last benchmark is 268k miles there (430k km) still going strong with original unopened engine, AFM lifters, mods, etc.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
A car won't last that long pirate let's be realistic here. And if it does everything will be clapped out and stuffed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
1/3 of the way there, will hit 200k km within the year, so sorta looking forward to good time to crack it open (and slip some decent mods through as repairs and maintenance).
Resigned myself a while back that this one is a keeper.

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
Maybe I'm just anal, but I wouldn't buy a car of that age with any more than 100-120,000k's on it. Resale values, plus age of components I wouldn't bother. I was in a similar situation when I bought my SSV, looked at a few around the 80-100K range, one had been looked after the other two hadn't, and it was very obvious apart from the odometer reading. The one that had been looked after was pretty good but wouldn't take lower than $26K (I was only looking for an SSV, wouldn't consider an SS). Ended up finding mine with only 35,000K's (its a late 2006), for that price from a dealership. Lucky I did too because it needed the balancer and sump gasket done under (used car) warranty.

Common things to look for on V8's, especially if an early build date - wobbly balancer, squeaking belts when cold (especially AC belt), leaking sump gasket, lifter noise. Some have problems with the AC belt (and then main belt) being thrown off the tensioner, especially when driven hard, there was a revised AC bracket assembly with a second pulley released in 08 from memory. Might be something to look for too.

Having said all that, if you can't wait for the right car for the right price, I say take the plunge and do it.