Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 manual gearbox troubles

XNK000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Ute
Hi all,
I have a redline manual ute and below ~3000rpm it is often very reluctant to shift 1st into 2nd.

3000rpm and above it shifts fine.

Any comments from others on their shift quality ?

Mine goes out of first fine but coming from the neutral position into 2nd it holds up and often takes a bit if patience before you feel it slips into gear.

Thanks

Why?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Harrop enhanced VF Redline Manual
No issues with the box or gears, but I'm sure occasionally when I change the clutch feels different (Stiffer). I kind of get the sensation of "that was weird".

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Mine is a bit stiff on the first to second at lower RPM too. It's fairly common as first and second are double synchro gears and and at low rpm the gearbox input isn't spinning down past the point where it needs to be to easily engage the next gear. Mine has loosened up a bit now with a few k's on it - used to get intermittent lockouts early on but with ~3,000kms on it it has freed up a little.

graphicgoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SSV Redline
Fairly common with the TR6060 gearboxes bud. Can be improved with a short throw shifter and different oil, but they're always going to be a fairly agricultural gearbox as they're designed to handle a bucket load of torque stock.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Hi all,
I have a redline manual ute and below ~3000rpm it is often very reluctant to shift 1st into 2nd.

3000rpm and above it shifts fine.

Any comments from others on their shift quality ?

Mine goes out of first fine but coming from the neutral position into 2nd it holds up and often takes a bit if patience before you feel it slips into gear.

Thanks

same issue on my new HSV Tourer.. and it is getting worse with more kms under the tyres
when cold.. forget it, just will not go into 2nd, when hot, with a bit of effort it will (but you could put your shoulder out getting 2nd)

I have already had the gearbox oil changed to the Penrite super stuff used in the boxes in the V8 Ute racing
.. did not help (and that was costly!) The clutch has been bled twice ..no improvemement.

the issue is not the box, but the 1-2 shift rail in my opinion. All other gears can be got with a single finger push

My dealer has referred it to HSV and Holden .. after looking at it a number of times

Chainsaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
My14 VF SSV Redline
Haven't had a shifting problem, but did get a new manual gearbox put in because of some clunking in third gear. It would clunk when you backed of in third gear. The ute only had 200km on it wh it was swapped out. New one is going fine.

Traxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Storm
I recently bought a manual 2014 VF SS storm and am also having problems with the gearbox.

At times if I release the clutch I get thuds and clunks. I can sit there not moving and it will make this noise by just pressing and releasing the clutch. It doesn't always do it tho.

It also at times engages differently than it did last shift. EG, it will make a clunk going from 1 gear to the next (upon releasing the clutch and no matter if I do a slow slip release or a faster one). Next time I do the same change from the next set of lights there is no noise at all, and it seems like a perfect shift..... it just seems weird.

It does however seem to shift nice when your somewhat into it, however thats not practical for driving to work everyday.......

I should mention this is my first holden, tho I've never experienced this from any other gearbox in my life. A friend of mine who has had tons of them (from VS to VE, he has a VE maloo atm) has said that the gearboxs are noisy and rough but it shouldn't be making noise when releasing the clutch or something.

Other problems are obv the diff slap that happens (you can be starting to accelerate and it feels like the car isnt doing anything, then clunk from the rear and now it accels properly), i thought there was something wrong until my mate told me pretty much every commodore does it thats why he recommended getting the diff and gearbox changed to aftermarket set....tho that will probably void my warranty... :p

Sigh........

My 3000km inspection is up soon so hopefully I can somehow get them to give me a whole new box and clutch etc. :)

XNK000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Ute
Hmmm. Thanks for the feedback. Some good some bad.

PhillipC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S1
I recently bought a manual 2014 VF SS storm and am also having problems with the gearbox.

At times if I release the clutch I get thuds and clunks. I can sit there not moving and it will make this noise by just pressing and releasing the clutch. It doesn't always do it tho.

It also at times engages differently than it did last shift. EG, it will make a clunk going from 1 gear to the next (upon releasing the clutch and no matter if I do a slow slip release or a faster one). Next time I do the same change from the next set of lights there is no noise at all, and it seems like a perfect shift..... it just seems weird.

It does however seem to shift nice when your somewhat into it, however thats not practical for driving to work everyday.......

I should mention this is my first holden, tho I've never experienced this from any other gearbox in my life. A friend of mine who has had tons of them (from VS to VE, he has a VE maloo atm) has said that the gearboxs are noisy and rough but it shouldn't be making noise when releasing the clutch or something.

Other problems are obv the diff slap that happens (you can be starting to accelerate and it feels like the car isnt doing anything, then clunk from the rear and now it accels properly), i thought there was something wrong until my mate told me pretty much every commodore does it thats why he recommended getting the diff and gearbox changed to aftermarket set....tho that will probably void my warranty... :p

Sigh........

My 3000km inspection is up soon so hopefully I can somehow get them to give me a whole new box and clutch etc. :)

I feel my car is doing exactly the same thing. Would love to know what Holden did for you?