Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Rear Main Seal Repair

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
My rear main has been leaking for a while and it's getting pretty bad.

I do most of my own mechanical work but won't do this.

Anyone know somewhere in Brisbane or Gold Coast that does it for a good price? Anyone had quotes or had it done? Vy. V8. LS1.

I'll pay cash or beer, whatever currency is requested.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Usually engine lifted and transmission moved to gain access to the rear main seal and plate

Plate and new seal round $165 and labour up to $750 easy

Figures based.on Sydney

Dunno bout different states costs but should be similar and more then likely will need more then beer like a credit card and cash

ilrated

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I got quoted in the region of $400 - $500 part included
Roger Ingold Automotive
07 5523 1988
Tweed heads

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Usually its the cam cover plate not the seal...
Holden do a complete replacement plate with seal in that is an upgrade part (prevents it happening again)..
Strongly recommend doing it

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I would make sure who ever you get to do it is familiar with the LS1 rear main seal, from what I have read they are a bit more involved than some cars, there was a thread on here not long back where some one had the seal replaced and it was leaking again shortly afterwards. From memory there was a special alignment tool needed to align the rear plate properly so the seal was centred on the crank. Do a search on rear main seal, there was a PDF in the thread with the alignment procedure and the tool needed.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
I would make sure who ever you get to do it is familiar with the LS1 rear main seal, from what I have read they are a bit more involved than some cars, there was a thread on here not long back where some one had the seal replaced and it was leaking again shortly afterwards. From memory there was a special alignment tool needed to align the rear plate properly so the seal was centred on the crank. Do a search on rear main seal, there was a PDF in the thread with the alignment procedure and the tool needed.
Not if you use the replacement plate.... it is self aligning and has built in seal... (much better part)

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Yep, you need the special tool to align the seal into the plate if you're doing the seal only... that being said the plate can warp and there is a revised plate/seal setup, so do the whole plate and save yourself a headache.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
In the PDF that some one else posted a while back it also shows a special tool for aligning the plate with the sump etc. So wouldn't you need that tool as well to align a new plate with the seal already inserted? The tool I was refering to is shown on page 3 of the PDF, I have never done one so I am only going on what I have read, I would make sure who ever does it knows what they are doing.
View attachment VT2 V8 Rear Main Replacement.pdf