Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 SuperCars, Am celebrating Holdens win:) but.....

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
Hey guys, Gr8 result at Bathurst today but amoungst fellow people i am hearing that the current VE race cars and the V8 fords are apparently basically the same under the makers shell? Is this true even mechanicaly? I still would have thought there would be major differences etc,

Just wondering if anyone knows, thanks

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The motors are different - but most of the components are the same or similar to ensure parity. There are so many rules and regulations involved in making the cars as similar as possible (including things like power output and weight as well as basic mechanical items right up to the construction of the roll cages) to make the races about the teams and the drivers, as opposed to who has the most cash to build the fastest car. Makes for a more interesting race in my opinion. It's pretty much the same in every touring car championship the world over. The body panels are holden (mostly) but that's pretty much it.

I did notice that about half the holden teams though, have already switched over to the Series II front end. Would have thought they'd wait until next year for that rather than right at the end of the season.

MagiTEK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII S
An awesome result today. Lowndes and Whincup fed off each other the after the last safety car and left Tander for 3rd. Wasnt sure if Lowndes could keep up the pace with Whincup down his back, but he pulled through. A might victory for Vodafone and for Holden in general.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
The only thing about the VE SC thats factory is the trans tunnel :p.

Factory production racing FTW!

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
Ah thanks guys, interesting to know, i guess its forced upon them all now considering the rules etc as mentioned

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The only thing about the VE SC thats factory is the trans tunnel :p.

Factory production racing FTW!

Nope - not even that. Headlights, grille badge, boot, rear 1/4's and windscreen.

Reaper

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Nope - not even that. Headlights, grille badge, boot, rear 1/4's and windscreen.

Reaper

Thats terrible, next thing youll know they be like nascars and have the headlights painted and just have different badges slapped on somewhere.

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
the front doors are the same shape, the bonnet is the same shape, and front 1/4 panels and grill are the same shape.......i was indicating same shape, none of the panels are actually "holden" panels anymore. i was talking with the lead engineer at centaur racing last week and i actually asked him about it....he said every panel is made for these cars, nothing is made by holden apart from the lights! every other panel is a custom fit! the rear 1/4's are actually about 10-15mm shorter than standard!