Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Valvetrain Advice

vr355stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 clubby w/Ls3, 05 VZ Lumina
hey all,I'm chasing info regarding valve springs and pushrods from the guys that have had it(and cam changes) done as I want to install 1.8 rollers to my Ls3 with stock cam but I need to upgrade the springs...what I want to know which spring would be better beehive's or duel springs?,
Also do I have to change my pushrods with the stock cam?or can I use my stock ones (the rollers came in a kit which consists of rollers screwin studs&locks ,guideplates and 7.250"lg pushrods)
Also...are duel springs noisier than beehives or is it just incorrect preload that makes them tick.
I know a lot of ppl are just going to say why don't you just change cam(just like pro shops)....but I don't have 3grand to dump into cam change,I'd prefer to spend it on bolt-on's
Cheers in advance :beer chug:

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Single beehive would be ok, but the Intake valve are big in the L98 head so doubles are good insurance, depends if you rev it heaps etc. From memory when my heads were ported and went form singles to doubles the valve seal or spring retainer needs to be changed to suit.

Be careful with rockers as they will change the geometery so you need to check heaps(not just a simple Bolton). Pushrod length needs to be checked on assembly. To many variations can throw that measurement out.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Lunati valve spring kit will suit fine and comes with all the bits, also good to do pushrods just encase but like said check the length first so u get the right pre load, if u have ticking then its the lifters either have the wrong preload or don't like the new spring pressure...

vr355stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
Only looking installing patroit gold spring an retainer set 135 on the seat from memory...but what about the pushrod length?can I get away with the stock length or is it because its got guide plates that I'd have no choice but to check!? ...Hmmm

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
u might be ok with standard length but always worth checking just encase...

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Beehives will save you fuel and stress and rev better with stock cam. Go 1.85 or 1.9, 1.8 is not worth the effort for an extra 0.015 or so lift. Check my garage to see what I did.

vr355stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
Already got them as they were really cheap and yeah with these it's only a .030" which brings the lift to .580"~ but until another set appears these will do for the momoent
btw Pir4te what did your rollers cost?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i have a set of YT 1.8's for a ls1-2 had i have known the stockies are 1.7 i would not have got them, fair bit of coin for only 10hp... now they are just sitting on the shelf...

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
i have a set of YT 1.8's for a ls1-2 had i have known the stockies are 1.7 i would not have got them, fair bit of coin for only 10hp... now they are just sitting on the shelf...

Yeah dunno if it is worth it for GenIII heads with stock manifold, TB and all that. Definitely worth getting more lift on LS3 heads for me with custom intake, ported TB, OTR and exhaust.

Already got them as they were really cheap and yeah with these it's only a .030" which brings the lift to .580"~ but until another set appears these will do for the momoent
btw Pir4te what did your rollers cost?

YT 1.85s alone were about $400 from memory. All up rockers, PAC 1511, retainers, moly rods etc., including install was $2200. Best thing I've done, lift and induction mods made engine breathe and springs and rods made it rev easier, quieter and longer, giving good performance and economy. Low duration hi-lift is ideal for L77 in a touring Wagon.

Last edited: