Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Variable Power Steering Problem ?

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
The steering on my Senator has become really light all a sudden. Thought it was a little heavy when I brought it 6 weeks ago, but now for no apparently reason that has changed. Even at 100kph it was light, far too agile.

Power steering fluid is fine. Haven't checked it for leaks underneath yet, as it only happened today. Apparently the steering rack was only recently replaced. Dash fuse was fine too. What's causing this ?

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Do you know if it has speed sensitive steering? I would be checking that it is working. Being light at 100k seems to indicate that it is not.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Hmm, I believe variable power assist steering is standard on VT's. It seems there's no leaks, as there is no drips on the ground. Need to jack it up to look properly. It just seems so easy to oversteer at the moment.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hmm, I believe variable power assist steering is standard on VT's. It seems there's no leaks, as there is no drips on the ground. Need to jack it up to look properly. It just seems so easy to oversteer at the moment.

It is not standard. Maybe it wasn't working properly before and all of a sudden it is. Variable power assist is extremely light, when stationery you can turn the wheel with your little finger and no effort then it gets harder as the speed increases.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
I remember having this discussion with Minux, he said the senator did NOT have the variable steering (I questioned this because I thought it was based on the Calais), but he was pretty confident it didn't.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Senators definitely use Calais as the base model to start with. To weather they have the variable power steering is unclear from the information I have researched.

Does anyone know how you can tell ? As I said the characteristics of the steering have change all a sudden for no apparently reason.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
VTs with speed sensitive steering have a rotary valve body on the driver side of the steering rack. This contains a solenoid assembly (and flapper valve) with wiring harness connector that connects into the ABS loom. The power steering pump for speed sensitive steering has a different part number to the standard pump - for a V8 it is 26056056 located on the back of the pump. Sounds like you may need a replacement solenoid assembly.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
It is not standard. Maybe it wasn't working properly before and all of a sudden it is. Variable power assist is extremely light, when stationery you can turn the wheel with your little finger and no effort then it gets harder as the speed increases.

When I brought the car it had a leak at hose at the back of the reservoir. I only had to adjust the hose and tighten the hose clamp to fix the leak. I have read that it can take some time for the pressure to build up to get the power steering working properly again. Took 6 weeks, but hopefully it all good.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
According to my VT GM service manual, speed sensitive power steering was standard on Calais and optional on other models

Fr3ak+--

Closed On Monday
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Exec 5 Speed
yes but the vt gm wouldn't cover hsv's would it? the easiest way to tell if you ahve variable steering is like blackvxgts states.. check if there is a loom coming off the steering rack