Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

variable power steering??

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
the key to keeping it from frying is to make sure you keep the power steering fluid clean and flush it every other year as when it gets dirty, it overheats causing the soleniod to sieze in place from heat or from catching pieces of gaskets which makes the rack break up internally and then its all over.

CAM05L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5.0/vy sv8/r31 rb20
ok back again, problem. the rack itself has variable ration writen on it (stamped) though i cannot see any solenoid or anythin like it on or around the rack????? help please!!!! i need to find out so i know which extractors i need

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
It is possible to run a variable steer rack without the variable steer working

I cant really answer the question, but i don't see why anyone would actually put that rack in their car if it shouldn't have it.

CAM05L

Reaction score
Members Ride
thats wat im thinkin. this sux

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The variable ratio on the VN just meant that it was different in the centre than the ends. 17.2:1 on centre to 11.8:1 on lock. Variable ratio on the Stato was a solenoid that controlled the fluid volume going through the rack. The faster you went the less volume and the heavier the steering was.

CAM05L

Reaction score
Members Ride
The variable ratio on the VN just meant that it was different in the centre than the ends. 17.2:1 on centre to 11.8:1 on lock. Variable ratio on the Stato was a solenoid that controlled the fluid volume going through the rack. The faster you went the less volume and the heavier the steering was.

so wat you think?? do i need the calais/stato extractors or just the normal commodore one's

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Just go the normal ones, as said above the VN never had the speed sensitive variable ratio.

CAM05L

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks man ill give it a go