Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Various dash lights not working VY II

kruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 50th Anniversary Edition
Hi, long time reader, first time poster.
I bought a 50th Anniversary Edition VYII last year, and it's been an outstanding car all round, I love the beast.
My Heater control lights went out completely some time ago, but because I don't do a lot of night driving, I didnt worry about it, but now I do, and want to fix them. I pulled the whole dash centre console area to bits, and popped the lid off the little 3 dial heater control, and found a small green circuit board with 7 or so LED's on it. Can these circuit boards be purchased separately?, or do you just by the whole case with dials etc?.
My headlight switch dimmer control is also being a pain, and will not work in the upper "half" of the dimmer range, and simply turns the dash lights off completely if you try to brighten the dash lights past this point. I bought a second hand switch out of Aussie on ebay, but It seems to be in worse shape than my own one. Any tips or tricks to this?

It seems bizarre to me that all the heater control bulbs are dead, you'd understand one or two popping in a car that's 15 yrs old, but all of them?. Sounds more like the circuit board has gonme fully, or a relay is not doing its job somewhere.

Any tips/tricks/help would be appreciated.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I would be looking at the Alternator, sounds like over charging to pop all the globes mentioned,
Admittedly they are getting old, but for so many to fail, you have to wonder why.
Grab a multimeter and see if you can check the supply voltage to the globes/sockets if you can,
From there, its a starting point,
I haven't had any issues with my VY like that, [fingers crossed]
But I would guess there has to be a variable resistor somewhere, that will lower the voltage to dim them.

kruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wouldn't the voltage regulator even out those surges and spikes?. I have to admit, the electrical side of things is not my strong point. The alternator is a good point, I have a good quality Multimeter, so I will check that. I bought some aftermarket LED's in case is was just those. But if all of them are popped, then it's likely a lot of the resistors and other components on the board are munted as well.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
checked the fuses?

has someone hooked on fog lights onto the car and messed with the headlights switch

kruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Found the fuses, and the dash lights one was intermittent. I had feel stupid for not having found that sooner. Thanks for the prompt. Lights all work now. Happy ending.