Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vb 253 conversion

NZR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 Clubsport
I’m looking at a really tidy vb wagon at the moment it’s a red 202 with the m20 manual
I was thinking along the lines of converting to a 253 at some stage if I get it with the reasons being I wouldn’t have to upgrade the diff as the 253 cars used the small Salisbury, also an m20 would also handle the power since they have less torque then the 308 and also came standard behind the 253. I just want a decent v8 sound rather then the 6 it is purely going to be a cruiser and I will build up my other vb sedan over time with something better.
so in theory I would only need the v8 engine and box, radiator and tailshaft? Anything else?
Thanks

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You'll also need an 8 cyl accelerator cable and possibly front springs....I say possibly as the cheats way to lower these would be to leave the 6cyl springs in and the weight of the 8 will lower it slightly...How much I'm unsure

Tailshaft....That's a possibility....If you are keeping the original diff, the shaft will be fine...It's when you do diff swapping, things get a little messy tailshaft wise..

Not sure clutch cable wise....That's one area you'll have to check into

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
A few other things to consider-
-Make sure radiator tank outlets match(same side for hoses) or have to swap core out
-Alternator bracket
- Check Clutch cable and pedal set up
- Probably as VC said front springs and shocks
-Does it have A/C?
- Brakes?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
all v8 's had disk brakes on the rear . Id assume even NZ would make you put disks on the back but who knows whats acceptable in NZ .
the 253 will break the small salisbury the way young blokes drive them. I broke plenty of them as did all my mates. you'll want the v8 tail-shaft for the big unis.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
all v8 's had disk brakes on the rear . Id assume even NZ would make you put disks on the back but who knows whats acceptable in NZ .
the 253 will break the small salisbury the way young blokes drive them. I broke plenty of them as did all my mates. you'll want the v8 tail-shaft for the big unis.

Diff ratio with these Salisbury's decide what unis it takes.....I have 2 disc braked rears here...1 takes the larger unis , the other the smaller unis...Both are from V8 powered Commodores...So you do have to be cautious in this area...:)

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
the disk diff with the smaller yoke came a 6 cylinder (sle) is my guess is it a salisbury or borg warner?

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Actually the first 100 or so VB 253 Commodore's had drum brakes.

NZR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 Clubsport
I could probably change the diff for a vl 25 spline borgwarner with discs on it easily enough are they much stronger then a small Salisbury?
Just trying to steer clear of needing to go t5 which are about $4000 or so these days and a 28 spline v8 diff like I would need with a 308 since they are very expensive even if you shorten the housing on a vn v8 diff and buy new axles still ends up getting close to the 3000 mark.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
the disk diff with the smaller yoke came a 6 cylinder (sle) is my guess is it a salisbury or borg warner?
253 used the small 8 bolt salisbury just like the 6cyl, the larger 10 bolt larger joints was a option

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Actually the first 100 or so VB 253 Commodore's had drum brakes.

This makes a little sense....Going back a few years ago, I remember reading if you changed from a 6 to a 253, you didn't need to have a disc braked rear...If you fitted a 308, you had to have a disc braked rear....