Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vb *clunk*

P

psykore

gday

ive got a problem with my car, ive got a vb.. and everytime i accelerate quickly i notice a loud clunk coming from the FRONT LEFT side of the car, sounds like its coming from the wheel area.. when i accelerate slowly i dont notice this clunk, first suspected the transmission, but now iam not so sure.
was jsut wondering if anyone could help me, would be Greatly appreciated!

cheers

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
loud clunk comming from left side while accelerating, hmm, let me thing, if you are sure it's comming from the left side it could be either, balljoint's, or link bushes, all of these parts are available from a auto repairer. grab wheel, put hand on the equivelent place as 10 and 2 on a clock, and give it a good wiggle, you should have no movement there what's so ever, if there is movement, you will find it's balljoint. when i say wiggle, i mean push type motion, on the same axis of your body. look under the wheel and check the balljoint boot, if it's all worn, i sugest a new balljoint, while your there check to see that the bushes that are on the link for the sway bar are all there and in good order. that's about it, if it's transmition, a loud clunk could be many things, but most casses are usualy uni joints, put car in neutral, put hand brake on and chock the wheels, get under it and see if you can twist the tailshaft, if it moves at all, you will find that theuni's are buggered also

cheers
garth

chuck

Reaction score
CHECK IF ALL THE STRUT BOLTS ARE TIGHTAT THE TOP AND THE Z-BAR RUBBERS AT THE FRONT,HAD THAT PROBLEM ONCE!

P

psykore

i actually tried wigglign the wheel, it moved a Little bit.. tightened her up a bit, but it didnt help.

thanx heaps for the info guys, ill try it all tongiht

Greatly appreciated! Adam.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
ah, ok, where the steering wheel colum comes out of the firewall, it will go down into a little universal joint, it's kinda cool looking, it conects to your stearing arm, if it's making anynoise it will be from there, get a new one, im not sure if you can get a new stearing colum or a new steering arm, you might wanna talk to repco or something like that

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
i know this sounds strange i used to have a clunk under acceleration in my vb it turned out to be the return spring in the starter moter had **** itself and was just swinging back and fourth and hitting the flywheel
i replaced it and the noise stopped but thats all can say.

P

psykore

youve all been a great help and im happy so many of you have put the time into helping me
pretty sure weve found the problem, but ill get abck to yas on that one.
thanx again all!
Adam

P

psykore

ok, the problem is, one of the engine mounts is fucked, its pretty easy to fix, doin it tomorrow, so yeah.. pretty happy i know what it is now, its been shitting me for about a month!! so if anyone has the same problem ive had with the clunking, now youve got a few ideas what it might be.

Adam