Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB - RB30 Conversion

M

madvb

This is my 1979 VB commodore, bought it stock, its been re-sprayed white, windows tinted, 17inch ROH mags, 2.5inch Exhaust with wildcat extractors, RB30 conversion.
Took around 2 months to complete conversion, had a whole VL with internals but a rust bucket of a body (smashed windows etc) used the whole front end from the VL with new springs. VL fuel take with a high pressure external fuel pump.
5 speed from the VL fitted in with the VL centre Console, unfortunately couldnt convert power steering.
People say i shouldve just bought a VL but since it only cost around 1,500 and VLs are like ass-holes here i thought id be different! not a bad car for your Ps.
Furture plans are to drop an RB20 Turbo straight in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
nah, forget about the RB20 Turfbo, put a RB25 head on it and a T03 turbo, thats the one that came on the VLT (vl turbo) the RB25 head has twin cam so it wil rev harder

B

blofly

an RB20 turbo is ok but I think they lack the torque of big daddy RB30ET, with an intercooler, highflowed standard or to3/to4 turbo and some retuning you can see between 240-260rwhp which is cheap, fun and super reliable, the only time you need to swap the head from standard SOHC to DOHC RB25det is when you have exhausted your options and are struggling to make more than 600rwhp! seriously the standard head is awesome and not worth swapping over unless you want more power :yeah:

eko

3kO
Reaction score
Members Ride
Soon to own vb commy end of year
sounds nice ate im putting a vl drivtrain in my vb got the engine tranny all bolted up and **** one major problem dunno how to get the whole wiring done ppl say u need all these fuses and **** wired up...would it be easier to just get a auto electrician to do it

DODelaney

Reaction score
Members Ride
82 VH Vacationer
any chance of picsof conversion
im thinking about doing it myself

vb_commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
I was thinkin about putting a RB30 from a VL in my car sometime soon has anyone hear done it or know someone thats done it and can give me a write up or some things to watch out for and some pics would be pretty helpful to. The best way to get it to me would probably be e mail. Im at [email protected]

Cheers vb_commie

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
It's good to see people wanting to do RB30 conversions......V6's sound like poo. And RB30's are easier and cheaper to get power out of.

eko

3kO
Reaction score
Members Ride
Soon to own vb commy end of year
Extremly easy conversion - show us some pics Madvb!!!

We did it to a VH a few years ago, in basically a weekend after planning it a bit. So smooth and different.

Well done mate!

im finking of doing da same project but i dunno what to do about the wiring loom and **** i got da ecu in there wif da wiring loom connected dont know what to do about the fuel pump and **** and ppl say u gotta get a fuse for it and **** best to go auto electrics??

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah, i second the motion of pics!!!
.....or is that third?