Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB sedan from 8 bolt open (small) Salisbury diff to VL Borg Warner. Tail shaft questions.

HazzaHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB 304 T5, VY SV8 Turbo T56, VE SSV Blower TR6060
Hi. About to do a diff conversion on my VB 304/T5 converted commodore from stock 8 bolt open salisbury to a VL Turbo/V8 borg warner. Looking for the back section of a VL tailshaft to bolt up to the current front half of the existing tail shaft. Can I use the back section of a N/A 6 cylinder VL tailshaft or do I need a Turbo/V8 one? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Back half of n/a 6cyl vl or last of vk series had b/w diff will work if you can find one cheap enough

HazzaHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
Back half of n/a 6cyl vl or last of vk series had b/w diff will work if you can find one cheap enough
Great thanks. The n/a 6cyl ones are easy to find so I was hoping it would fit to the front half of my current tail shaft. The V8/Turbo ones seem a lot harder to find and more expensive. So just confirming the 8 bolt small Salisbury tail shaft is compatible with the VL 6cyl n/a borg warner tail shaft in terms of the CV?

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
get the v8 vl shaft shortened and baleneced ,did the 6 cyclinder vk shaft have the big uni's?

HazzaHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
get the v8 vl shaft shortened and baleneced ,did the 6 cyclinder vk shaft have the big uni's?
The VL V8/turbo shafts are hard to find and expensive. Would rather go the back half of a VL n/a 6 if it will fit with what I have now. I guess that's what I am trying to find out. Does anyone know if the centre CV/uni from my current small Salisbury VB tail shaft the same size and compatible with a VL 6cyl n/a one?

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
The BW diff uses a flange to bolt to the diff pinion flange. The back half of a VL shaft will bolt to the CV joint of your original drive shaft.

HazzaHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
The BW diff uses a flange to bolt to the diff pinion flange. The back half of a VL shaft will bolt to the CV joint of your original drive shaft.
Awesome. Just what I wanted to hear! I saw some people talking about a big uni and a small uni so just wanted to check. Thank you.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
There are definitely uni's but you don't have to touch it.

iu

Just bolt the 2 flanges together.

What I don't know (or can't remember) is if the 6 cyl and V8's use the same size CV joint in the middle of the shaft.

HazzaHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
There are definitely uni's but you don't have to touch it.

Just bolt the 2 flanges together.

What I don't know (or can't remember) is if the 6 cyl and V8's use the same size CV joint in the middle of the shaft.
Sorry I used the wrong terminology, the centre CV (which I was calling uni) is what I was asking about, to see if it was compatible with my current CV. Although I just realised my current tail shaft front half and CV might not be a stock small Salisbury even though the diff is, because I bought it already converted to T5 gearbox and 304. It probably is given the rear still fits up, but I guess I will just need to bite the bullet and try it. Hopefully all the CV's are the same size.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
This era Commodores have 2 different size CV's....90MM and 100MM from memory.....You have to physcially measure them to see if you have the right size CV...So it's not as simple as unbolting and re-bolting with that.

Then we move to the uni joints....You have 2 different sizes....A small and a large....The later ones have the large uni, (ie from the VK onwards) but the early ones have both sizes....They are easily identified, so you'll have to look to see.

The old train of thought was 6cyl and V8 uni, but that doesn't ring true....The V8 is surposed to be the larger of the 2, but I have a V8 diff here with the smaller uni, they class as the 6 cyl one

If you swap the back half, it would be wise to have it rebalanced,as it might just vibrate