Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB SL/E Commodore Resto

coreyg23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE Commodore
HI Guys,
I'm in the process of restoring a VB SLE commodore and I'm looking at putting a VN-VS 5ltr in it, I have sourced VR Belina roller which I have kept the LSD diff which I will get shortened, the Fuel tank and tail shaft.
My question is should I, or can I use the VR K-Frame and power steering rack in the VB SLE.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes with the rack, providing you use a VL intermediate shaft

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
HI Guys,
My question is should I, or can I use the VR K-Frame and power steering rack in the VB SLE.
Yes you can use the VR Kframe but not the power steering rack as the intermediate shaft wont fit unless you get it modified.
No you can’t use a VL intermediate shaft on the rack as posted by VC Commodore ..... The VR p/s rack and intermediate shaft ends have a rectangle connection and the VL has a round spline one and will not fit the VR rack.

For better clearances for power steering and matching rack/intermediate shaft heads ..... Use any VL/VN/VP/VR/VS V8 Kframe with any VL/VN or VP series 1 power steering rack and intermediate shaft. This will bolt straight up to your steering column and look factory.....VP series 2 on changed to rectangle connections from old round spline.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Rack no good need splined vl or vn with vl intermediate if want p/steer & aftermarket extractors.Unsure if vp splined as most I've seen were not...including mine.

crossmember
m/cyl & booster
radiator & tie bar underneath it
charcoal cannister
shifter
aldl plug with length of wiring
front calipers
fuse box/relays & all f/pump wiring
front half of tailshaft but need vl rear or get donor rear shortened.

Make list of shite you & report back

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Unsure if vp splined as most I've seen were not...including mine.
Read my previous post @ VP series 2 on changed to rectangle connections from old round spline from the VP cars I have seen and mates have.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
You will need a VL manual steering intermediate shaft to make the rack work.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Ok I'll rephrase that....I've never seen splined shaft on a vp unless it had manual rack conversion.

You'll rarely see series 1 vn in wrecking yard let alone less popular vp shitboxen for parts.