Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB SLE 5 LTR BUILD No. 341 first factory 5 ltr. .??

crossy1962

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE + a few VT’s S1’s & S2’s
I am wondering if my car is possibly the first factory optioned 5ltr sold ?
I do realise that it is probably impossible to prove and Holden has no records so a person can only go on what information there is.
Well the car is currently on EBAY if you want to take a look at it, I'm thinking SL/ENUT & Smitty would probably be the men to give me the best probability as they seem to be the most knowledgable with the VB series but any feedback is appreciated, I like the feedback 79VCSLE got hmmm lol, so here is what I am thinking.
Going by the books the VB's production officially started on the 26/10/78, yes they did pre production runs making cars to make sure everything worked but officially production started on the 26th, now the 26th was a Thursday back in 78 so from the 26/10 to November was only 6 days, if the factory didn't work over the weekend it means there might have only been 4 days of production.
O.K, how many VB were made in Melbourne in Oct 78?, well a VB SLE rolling shell just sold on EBay this week and it was chassis number AVB001092M so at least 1092 were made, probably more but at least 1092 so if We work on 1092 & assume Holden worked all weekend (6 days) that would be 182 cars a day, at 4 days it's 273 cars a day.
Well my Chassis number is AVB000341M so it was the 341st VB made in Melbourne so it seems it was made on the 2nd day of production, now naturally Holden built VB's with V8's and tested them and dissected them etc but they would have been destroyed, recycled etc.
So we come back to my car number 341, as the 5 litre was an option this car had to be preordered to the specs that it has, buckskin interior, wind up windows etc so even though I can not prove it I have a strong feeling this could possibly be the first Commodore 5 litre to come out of Melbourne .
Maybe they had been making the cars for weeks before the 26th but just picked the 26th I don't know, maybe someone knows someone with a lower numbered 5 litre ?
As I first mentioned this as my assumption and I wondering what you guys think ?
Of course I believe it probably is that's because I own it lol, we are like that with our toys.
CHeers,

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
It could well be the 341 VB Commodore from Melbourne(or ever) but i don't know if they were built in sequence. Smitty might know.

Its a bit of weird one, prob central locking but manual windows.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. need the rest of the info on the car to try and determine this.

VB went on sale on 26 Oct 78 with proper production starting several months early (late June/early July)
and some of this production being registered and lent to the motoring press and large fleet buyers (Telstra etc)
from early October

what makes also it difficult to determine is that Dandenong VAP was not only making Commodores (first pre-build then real)
in the run up to its release in 78, but had swapped from building LX to UC Toranas and Sunbirds earlier in 78
and was pumping out Holdens before they went exclusively to Elizabeth after VAP rationalisation ...
( where Pagewood and Birkenhead got shut)

btw..
5 litres were never an option on VB.. they were only ever part of the 2 production packs on 8VX69s
I tried getting a SL (8VL69) 4 speed version made with a 308 in it... and got my knuckles rapped :)

crossy1962

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vb tags

.. need the rest of the info on the car to try and determine this.

VB went on sale on 26 Oct 78 with proper production starting several months early (late June/early July)
and some of this production being registered and lent to the motoring press and large fleet buyers (Telstra etc)
from early October

what makes also it difficult to determine is that Dandenong VAP was not only making Commodores (first pre-build then real)
in the run up to its release in 78, but had swapped from building LX to UC Toranas and Sunbirds earlier in 78
and was pumping out Holdens before they went exclusively to Elizabeth after VAP rationalisation ...
( where Pagewood and Birkenhead got shut)

btw..
5 litres were never an option on VB.. they were only ever part of the 2 production packs on 8VX69s
I tried getting a SL (8VL69) 4 speed version made with a 308 in it... and got my knuckles rapped :)

Hi Smitty, here are my tags,
I hope this helps you help me lol.

HOLDEN COMMODORE SEDAN
10-78 AVB000341M
seating cap-5

GENERAL MOTORS HOLDEN LIMITED
8X69TJJ631309B

MODEL VBVX69
BODY No. 631309M
TRIM 1189-63Y
PAINT 568-10981
ENG L31 TRANS M41 RRAXL G70

Chassis No. Is stamped on the radiator support panel AVB000341M

Also I have read on a lot of sights that the VB was made from the 26/10/78 and delivered to dealers but the dealers had a release date to the public of the 13/11/78, I take that is incorrect ?

I have never seen a VB plated earlier than 10/78 though have you ?
Cheers, Darrell

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
.. thanks , that certainly helps!

all that data hangs together - Tag (VIN ) of 8X69TJJ631309B also on the body plate
is supported by the body and chassis info. The L31/M41 combo in the SLE (8VX69)
was a 310 pack but it came with pwr windows as std. I checked my records and the
pwr windows were a 'delete' option so your windups can be legit.

I have no problem with it being the 341st VB made at Dandenong and made in October.
The 10-78 is the month/year of production but one can be no closer than that.
Back then a VB took 41 hours to make .. in reality, over a time period of about 8-10 days
( as it had to mix it with the Torries etc on the line) but definitely manufacture of it would be in October
Note GMH did NOT run their VAPs at weekends back then

It would be one of the first 5.0 litre SLE's made. But the first?.. sorry I cannot confirm that

I have seen 08/78 and 09/78 plated VBs ... which were production pilots and never released
as such to the dealers/public. Lots got cut up/smashed at LangLang/used in Engineering trials
even given to Suppliers for part fitment trials. There could be some around but GMH policy
was to not let them out for sale to the public.

By the way.. does it have the original number plates? (would be Vic 'A' reg)

Last edited:

crossy1962

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Number plates

.. thanks , that certainly helps!

all that data hangs together - Tag (VIN ) of 8X69TJJ631309B also on the body plate
is supported by the body and chassis info. The L31/M41 combo in the SLE (8VX69)
was a 310 pack but it came with pwr windows as std. I checked my records and the
pwr windows were a 'delete' option so your windups can be legit.

I have no problem with it being the 341st VB made at Dandenong and made in October.
The 10-78 is the month/year of production but one can be no closer than that.
Back then a VB took 41 hours to make .. in reality, over a time period of about 8-10 days
( as it had to mix it with the Torries etc on the line) but definitely manufacture of it would be in October
Note GMH did NOT run their VAPs at weekends back then

It would be one of the first 5.0 litre SLE's made. But the first?.. sorry I cannot confirm that

I have seen 08/78 and 09/78 plated VBs ... which were production pilots and never released
as such to the dealers/public. Lots got cut up/smashed at LangLang/used in Engineering trials
even given to Suppliers for part fitment trials. There could be some around but GMH policy
was to not let them out for sale to the public.

By the way.. does it have the original number plates? (would be Vic 'A' reg)

Hi Smitty, thanks for the information, very very much appreciated, good to know all that, like 41 hours to make over a 8-10 day period, priceless information, no it's not with original plates, I am in NSW and I have the personalised plates MY 78 VB on it but I have the original log books and the GMH vehicle identification certificate, the original number plate was AIY 222, sold by Gary & Warren Smith Group at Oakleigh, purchased by Reginald McGilvenna who lived in Oakleigh, I was told by the person I purchased it of that it was the first as he bought it of the original owners widow, that's why the paper work was kept and it is an interesting story but as you say that means nothing, still is not proof, I like to think it is though :) lol.
Thanks very much for the information Smitty, very much appreciated.
Regards,Darrell

crossy1962

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Correction on details

Hi Smitty, thanks for the information, very very much appreciated, good to know all that, like 41 hours to make over a 8-10 day period, priceless information, no it's not with original plates, I am in NSW and I have the personalised plates MY 78 VB on it but I have the original log books and the GMH vehicle identification certificate, the original number plate was AIY 222, sold by Gary & Warren Smith Group at Oakleigh, purchased by Reginald McGilvenna who lived in Oakleigh, I was told by the person I purchased it of that it was the first as he bought it of the original owners widow, that's why the paper work was kept and it is an interesting story but as you say that means nothing, still is not proof, I like to think it is though :) lol.
Regards,Darrell

Hi Smitty,
I just read my reply to you and noticed that I put down that the original purchaser of the car lived at Oakleigh, that was incorrect he lived in East Bentleigh, both suburbs of Melbourne , I was told the original purchaser worked at Holden and he also was friends with the owner or owners of the car dealership and arranged the purchase so he got the first 5.0 litre all just hear say really but East Bentleigh is probably only 20 minutes from both Dandenong & Fishermans Bend and is also only a 5 minute drive from the Car dealer, all interesting but that still does nothing to prove anything apart from were he lived and were he bought the car from, no way to prove he worked for Holden or anything else I mentioned.
It does have central locking and I am happy it does not have electric windows as they can be a hassle and the buckskin trim is in fair condition, I am not real fond of the red interior, yeah Smitty I like her lol.
Anyway thanks again for your information, very much appreciated.
Regards,Darrell

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
If you like her so much why is she on ebay?

crossy1962

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tucker bag EBay

If you like her so much why is she on ebay?

Hi tuckerbag, you should have asked why was she on EBay, I removed it before you posted your question, it was removed this afternoon, shame on you for not checking before posting your question :) lol.
So I will answer "why was it on EBay" instead, fairly simple, what is something worth ?
Usually We have a bit of an idea what a car is worth but with this car I had no real idea, some friends said 10k others 15k and a few said who knows if it is the first 5 litre or one of the first maybe a lot to some ppl, so I put it on EBAY to gauge the market and removed it with over 3 days to go and it was at $25,100.00- so I now know it's worth 25k, maybe not the nicest thing to do to the bidders but I did say the vehicle would be removed by this Friday if sold, yes a lie as it was removed but it was not sold, yes I am a bad man lol.
I hope that satisfied your curiosity.
cheers, Darrell

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regards,Darrell
... thanks

the reason for asking about the rego number plates was because the first 'normal production' registered VB ( a std 4.2 SLE) was registered by GMH and was AHM .. something from memory.

There were Engineering evaluation VBs running around with earlier regs like ACS (but these were pilot build or hand built VBs). AIY is pretty early....