Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB/VC/VH/VK 3.3L Replace with 308.

Jello63

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL
Hi,
New to the forum & had a look about & very nice, lots of handy info. I did do a search, but didn't really come up with a clear answer.

Will an Holden 5L V8 & 4spd fit pretty much straight into VB-VK 3.3L front end? Got a project in mind & 5.0L VB-VK's are getting scarce or are more than what I want to pay, considering I'll be stripping the car down to a bare shell.

Thnx for any advice?

R

richo304

mate im not 100% if the engine mount position will be the same from a 6cl to v8 but i know if you look on ebay you can get a v8 k frame for about 50$ other than that you just need all your v8 parts like exhaust,power steering pump and lines,ect vb to vk came out with v8 so what makes you think that set up wont fit?

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
From what i know, the only difference in K-frames was the hanging mounts for the steering rack for manual steer or power steer.
The mounts for the engine for 6 or 8 were the same.

Not sure with k-frames from VN onward though.
The exception is VL 6cyl, which has a different rack.

Jello63

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL
mate im not 100% if the engine mount position will be the same from a 6cl to v8 but i know if you look on ebay you can get a v8 k frame for about 50$ other than that you just need all your v8 parts like exhaust,power steering pump and lines,ect vb to vk came out with v8 so what makes you think that set up wont fit?

Ahh I didn't know if it would or wouldn't lol. Just wanted to make sure, so I can get my plans underway. Thnx I'll sus out the k frame.

Thnx :)

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
you can drop the V8 straight in on the 6cyl k-frame. I did the 6-8 cyl conversion on my previous VH and had no problems
As drew said, the only difference was between the pwr and non-pwr steer k-frames.

bsm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vb sl/e 310 + Vc sl/e
power steering racks and manual racks use same k frame.

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Very thirsty VT & VH project under way! YAY!!
I took out the power steering from my 6cyl VH and the manual rack went straight in. I worries. I am interested in this thread because I'll be putting in a V8 at the end of this year and was under the impression I'd have to change K frames from a 6 to 8 cyl.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I took out the power steering from my 6cyl VH and the manual rack went straight in. I worries. I am interested in this thread because I'll be putting in a V8 at the end of this year and was under the impression I'd have to change K frames from a 6 to 8 cyl.

Its a common misconception and a very good way to work out weather you should keep listing tot he people telling you that.

scott