Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB VC VH VK VL with 4L60E

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
What crossmember can i use wenn i trow a 4L60E into a early commodore shell?

Do u people have pictures?

And i read somewhere u need to bash in the chassie rails with a hammer is this true?

CRS crossmember isnt a option cause i live in Europe and it would cost me soo much on shipping + import taxes + price itself that i better make me something myself.

I cant find any decent pics.

Hope somebody can help me out or tell me what to use.

Cheers Ben

chanoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
81 vc in dynasty gold, 80 vc sle 336 pack
Hi Ben, i have a Vc with a turbo 700 in it. From memory the drive shaft was shortened and the crossmember had a piece welded on to it to support the tranny.
I suppose the 4l60e is the same
Cheers Dave

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Thats a answer is can do something with,yeah 4L60E shut be equal in dimensions en bolting positions so thanks.

And with some luck i have a matching tailshaft here....From a old aisin warner 4-speed auto transmission they have exact same length as the TH700/4L60E,if Holden places its engines on exactly the same spot as Opel did it shut be a 1:1 fit.

chanoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
i will try and get a pic of the cross member for you later today, so you can have a squiz at it

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Yeah please a picture would be great so i have a idea what need to happen.

Did u need to bash in the chassie rail on a spot?
I read something about that cause trannie shut be to wide.

Ow and one more question will u make a picture of the rocker cover and brake booster how much clearance there is:
On the aus driver side the rocker cover has a dent shaped form near the brake booster,but if that dent would not be there would it hit the booster?
I have a booster that looks equal to the aus boosters in size and diameter but its on the other side i just hope it doesnt hit the booster.

chanoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
heres some pics for you, there is about 3/4 between the rocker covers and the brake booster photo 4.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 1.JPGphotoz.JPG

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Thats awesome thanks for those pics,i have exactly the same transmission crossmember atleast i have a idea whats coming for,i have 3 more questions:
I read somewhere i need to bash in a chassie rail cause the TH700/4L60E is alot wider then the trimatic is that true????

Is that the TH700 gearbox mounth or rubber or how u call that rubber/steel thing between the crossmember and the gearbox?

And would u take a rope and measure the diameter of the australian brake booster and how much is the centre of the master cylinder roughly from the strut tower?

I just hope it will fit and that i dont need to start welding on a rocker cover.

Tonight after work i shoot a pic of my brake booster and its sizes and place in the bay....I would hate it if the booster is a diffent place then in australie (in mirrow vieuw then)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ideally, you want to install your T700 so that the exit of the tailshaft is exactly level with the mounting point of the center bearing. if its the same as chanoo's youll run into whats called a "phasing issue" which is where the knuckles on the pinion yolk are unbalanced and you will get pretty bad vibrations at around 100kmph.

the servo unit on the side of the T700 is pretty wide. it sticks out a lot further than the body of a T350/400 so at the very least you will need to "relieve" the floor slightly to clear it. this is my 66' impala which was designed to fit a T400 from factory.
DSC04424.jpg

it almost fits:
DSC04425.jpg

but not quite

GM transmission dimensions so you can figure out your tailshaft length and transmission mounting point:
tranny_dimensions.jpg

and with the booster, the engines in holdens are fitted 'straight up' not slanted like a chrysler 6. so if your firewall booster position is the same (mirrored) as our, then it will clear. even from factory though, the 308 is a very snug fit with the booster. if you do encounter clearance issues, maybe give this a thought:
1377224_10151680110831402_42670922_n.jpg

this is whats called a "hydro-boost" and theyre fitted to chevy silverado and 2001 ford mustangs, that unit in particular is off a mustang. they use hyrdaulic power from your power steering pump instead of manifold vacuum. theyre a bit tricky to plumb up, but allow HEAPS more room than a vacuum booster, and i couldnt recommend them high enough:
1545569_10151883705686402_1900520763_n.jpg

i scored mine off ebay complete with MC. all i had to do was run 2 new lines to my brakes then make it look pretty:
03 04 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Hydroboost Master Cylinder Proportioning Valve Prop | eBay

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Thats really awesome those hydralic brake boosters...They really would solve my space problems for sure..

That gearbox crossmember is something i can design myself i see now,i just need to measure how far the tailshaft is from the thing that Chanoo doesnt have on his pics that bow shaped thing that right after the gearbox crossmember,and i have to make sure the tailshaft with the 4L60R comes at the exact same hight again and it shut be fine.

Well i guess the boosters will be in the same spot cause brake is the middle from the 3 pedals (clutch brake accelerator) in aus and in europe and by pics its like its on the same spot,i just hope i use the diameter as the australian ones.