Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vb-vh ? odometer worm gear

Hoc66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vc commodore/vy ss ute
IMG_20180406_165600.jpg would anyone know where or who sells vb-vh 10 tooth worm gear that drives the odometer and trip counter,ive tried rare spares,holden and a few other places that sell resto parts,any info appreciated sorry if its been covered already but ive looked and can find stuff on the cluster and sun gear but nothing on the worm gear,cheers

Last edited:

Hoc66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vc commodore/vy ss ute
.. you talkin' this worm gear? the one on the output shaft?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-...007787&hash=item33c36286c8:g:3LUAAOSw-zxWndpo thanks for answering Smitty,no mate not any of the speedo or gearbox drive gears its the 1 in the odometer its self not sure if you can click on the thumbnail pic i posted or i can post a bigger pic,not sure if this is where i reply or not,but thanks for trying to help,cheers

s-l640.jpg

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
very small pic.. missed it
the speedo reset shaft with the gear on the end from what i can see

but there is a problem... GMH did not separately service the internals of the speedo assembly (or any instrument )
simply you cannot buy separate bits (the only thing you could get separate was the clear 'glass' cover)
so
you need a complete 'Speedometer and trip meter assembly' in GMH speak
or its a trip to an auto instrument guy who may have bits from one he disassembled

Hoc66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vc commodore/vy ss ute
very small pic.. missed it
the speedo reset shaft with the gear on the end from what i can see

but there is a problem... GMH did not separately service the internals of the speedo assembly (or any instrument )
simply you cannot buy separate bits (the only thing you could get separate was the clear 'glass' cover)
so
you need a complete 'Speedometer and trip meter assembly' in GMH speak
or its a trip to an auto instrument guy who may have bits from one he disassembled
Ok thanks for the info,i was just going to replace the old 1(still works but looking tired) if possible when i replace the sun gear.. thanks for clearing that up for me,now i can stop lookin',cheers

Hoc66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vc commodore/vy ss ute
Just finished putting it all back together and id say it was the gear that drives the sun gear,the way it works is the drum spins the little purple worm gear which in turn spins the gear in question and that turns the sun gear which moves the total ks and trip meter see pics,its a strange looking gear with 10 teeth and grooves in the shaft that the teeth of the sun gear sit in i just carefully re done the little grooves and bingo works like new
IMG_20180406_165600.jpg
IMG_20180419_145534.jpg

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Well done. The odometres in those units (VB - VH) were / are prone to failing. I have had 3 VH's over the last 27 years and 2 out of the three the odo had stopped working around the 200k mark, some stop working with way less km's on the clock also, the odo's are a poor quality unit.

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 202 Auto NOS Rat Rod Wagon
Some stopped working because people tried to turn back ODO's :)

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Lol funny, yeah they don't like being spun backwards......:eek: