Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VC running bad

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
hey guys, i'm new to the Vb-Vk thread
I normally drive a VR but as it is broken i'm driving my parents 1981 VC 3.3L when turning the car on *when it finially turns over* the economy reading only sits at about 50 with a rough idal *is this normal* also when it starts to warm up and i stop at traffic lights it sounds like its almost about to stall and then the economy reading sits at about 25...I've changed to spark plugs and leads and this has not helped. also what fuel usage do people normally get out of a tank we are lucky if we can get 250km's

also how important is using the lead replacment as my parents never use it and it only gets used when i fill it up

any info on what could be wrong with the car would be much helpful
thanks guys

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Maybe do the timing, and possibly get the carby rebuilt.

My 173 always use to idle heaps rough, got it tuned, did the timing, no one knew why it was idling so rough....turns out it was a dodgy lifter haha

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
also how important is using the lead replacment as my parents never use it and it only gets used when i fill it up

any info on what could be wrong with the car would be much helpful
thanks guys

It's pretty important to run the fuel additive through the leaded engines. The lead in the old leaded petrol provided protection for you valve seats, which unleaded doesn't provide. But, cars built for unleaded are already protected from this. Without you can burn out the valve seats and stuff your motor.

The closest you'll get to the old unleaded is to run premium unleaded with the flash lube etc. fuel additive.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Sounds like she needs a tune bro, check the timing also. take a look at the spark plugs if u can..

If your traveling on a highway u should be getting more then 250, if not switch to extractors and rebuild the carby.

A tune up i would do is timing and carby at the sametime. - I'll send u a pm

NOT.BT1

Bogan pride
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VN exec project vh in the shed
yeah or if its like my vh was it could be the auto choke not working mine was a pain in the backside to start on cold mornings and when it did start it ran like a dog til it warmed up enough and yeah check timing and just give it a good service new oil and filters and all the rest