Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VCM 5sc cam ls3

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Yes i do, but definitely to running rich, i am waiting for another 2-3 months and go and get a check up on the tune as the engine will be a lot looser.
I have had the privileged to ride in a few cars with different cams from big profiles to sleeper profiles, middle to larger cams do tend to give off a fumier smell and i think the vcm5sc is a middle style cam.

Do you get a lot of fume?

Thanks mate.
Yes, mine is quite fumey, mainly at idle.
Its just come back from the tuner to get a few things sorted. Still too fumey for my liking. Both VCM and the tuner say it's par for the course with the mods this car has

SSVRDL

Aussie Icon
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV S2 Redline
Thanks mate.
Yes, mine is quite fumey, mainly at idle.
Its just come back from the tuner to get a few things sorted. Still too fumey for my liking. Both VCM and the tuner say it's par for the course with the mods this car has
I am not to worried about it at this stage but was thinking going a massless tune when I take it for a check up. Will see how that goes!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I like to go for a higher intake duration with a 61X valve lift at a lower LSA.
I’d keep lift, LSA, more advance, go for same IVO earlier IVC say 66° (more useful torque).
I’d get tired of the big EVC fuming up and causing troubles, no need for that overlap.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
dosnt take much to fix most of the fumey issues just some adjustments in the tune, will also clean up alot of the low end and add more torque and use less fuel at idle to cruise

SSVRDL

Aussie Icon
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV S2 Redline
dosnt take much to fix most of the fumey issues just some adjustments in the tune, will also clean up alot of the low end and add more torque and use less fuel at idle to cruise
Thanks mate, was thinking it shouldn't be to hard to fix, was also thinking of changing to a mafless tune to help out the fumes

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Thanks mate, was thinking it shouldn't be to hard to fix, was also thinking of changing to a mafless tune to help out the fumes
yea maf or mafless wont change the fumes its another part of the tune that not many even know what it does or how to use it and thus its left stock, once u introduce overlap the stock injector timing needs changing what stock is aiming for is overlaps worst nightmare, unless u have no cats or very poor cats the smell should be alot better

SSVRDL

Aussie Icon
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV S2 Redline
yea maf or mafless wont change the fumes its another part of the tune that not many even know what it does or how to use it and thus its left stock, once u introduce overlap the stock injector timing needs changing what stock is aiming for is overlaps worst nightmare, unless u have no cats or very poor cats the smell should be alot better
Thanks mate, will ask the question to some different tuners, thanks again

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I’d keep lift, LSA, more advance, go for same IVO earlier IVC say 66° (more useful torque).
I’d get tired of the big EVC fuming up and causing troubles, no need for that overlap.

I hear what you’re saying but it's one of those areas where if you get a bunch of tuners together talking about IVO, IVC and EVC you’ll get many different opinions and preferences and at the end of the day it comes down to what the owner is really trying to achieve.

I don’t street race from traffic lights or that type of thing, so as much as I love low down torque which I have in some of my cars it’s not totally important to me when adding power as I’ll usually get it to some extent anyway and if it comes in stronger at a higher RPM then that’s better if I was to ever use it at a track.

I have noticeable cams in some of my injected and carbie cars and even though they may have a rough idle and spit some fuel, I don’t really have any of the fume problems that seem to be described here.

How you tune the vehicle does play a big part in sorting these problems and bigger cams though not for everyone aren’t the evil thing some people think them to be.

As you’d know a good tuner can work magic if they’re experienced or prepare to put in the time.

I guess what I was trying to say is I like to be noticed and I’m happy to live with some of the little inconveniences a bigger cam brings as I no longer use the low down power of a small cam on the street when I know the bigger one also offers an increase in low torque as well.

I also consider the cam being discussed as a small cam and something around a 23x/23x as a small to medium.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I also consider the cam being discussed as a small cam and something around a 23x/23x as a small to medium.
For 821 heads I reckon 23x needing stall, high idle, rough idle etc., is odd to call small:
< ‘20s a baby,
low to mid ‘20s small,
high ‘20s to mid ‘30s mid sized,
upper ‘30s and above is clearly big

MAF88

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ss ute
im deciding between these 2 cams
VCM 5SC 224/232 .580 .590 114.5LSA OR
HARROP H02 224/232 .609 .610 114LSA very similar but wondering how the extra bit of lift on in. and ex. aswell as .5 lsa would effect performance ?