Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VCM/KPM OTR & washing the car....

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
Anybody with a VCM/KPM OTR had any problems with water in the OTR when washing the car? Do you take precautions, if so what?

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
Had m VCM on for about a month and it has been fine (washed the car 3 or 4 times since).

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
I put a bag over OTRs fitted to client's cars. No sense risking it, though unless you're aiming the pressure cleaner into it, there shouldn't be too many issues. If you do bag it, remember to take it off afterwards!!!

yeah, I have read that people bag them to be safe. But with the VCM, you can bag the top 2 slots, but there is the scoop in front of the radiator, I will have to have a look and see what I can do.......but chances are I will forget I put **** there!!!!!! I tend to aim the pressure cleaner into every nook & cranny, thats why I'm asking!

xoom

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
hey mate.

i got the kpm one, same as vcm, like 100% identical. had it for a couple months now. i have no probs with water eatering the intake. even with a high pressured water gun, water doesnt get in.

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Had the VCM otr on my ss for about 8 months and i wash my car every fourtnight almost,never had no probs with water in the filter even with the high pressured gun or car washers

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
You shouldn't have to worry about the lower part of the intake as it's shielded, at least in part, by the front bar - just don't spray the water up and into it and you won't have any problems - gravity is on your side there. I would just bag as much as you can reach - water isn't going to maliciously invade its way into your intake, it will only get in there if you put it in there. That's also one of the big draw cards of pressure cleaners vs hoses - they are much more 'accurate' (for want of a better word), meaning you can spray around sensitive areas and, as long as you use some common sense and care, you won't get any water where you don't want it - for example, around door sills and boot lids while they're open without flooding your interior.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
Thank You everyone, sounds like I should have no problems!!!

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
you won't,don't stress too much. as has been said you literally have to shove the hose up against it to get any water in. there is a small one way drain valve on the bottom off the housing behind the filter if you did end up with any moisture in there