Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VCM Suite tune for SV6

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Ive been through the FAQ's but they seem to be a few years old so i thought id start this incase theres been anymore updates with it and get some accurate pricing.

So what am i looking at for the tune? have heard about $900?

Also, I have been told power of up to 201KW give or take after tune. Would this figure be including a range of mods like 2 hole, exhaust, filter ect or just stock?

Basically, I'd rather leave the exhaust if possible, would this effect the chances of a decent gain through the tune?

thanks people!

P.S waiting for andyman to reply to this thread too.:p

Last edited:

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
I have had it done to my Calais and it gave me 201.1 RWHP so approx 201 FWKW.
Mine was completely stock, not even an air filter change at the time so with those mods possibly looking at more.
A good option also for quicker acceleration is diff gears, there the way to go if you want a quicker take off, a tune help all over the rev range.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hmmm. Ive been thinking of diff gears atm too, to go in before a tune. Whats the cost of these though? What do the SV6s come with? have heard of i think 3.45s being used?

Also, what was the cost of yours if you dont mind me asking? PM me if you like. Where did you get it done?

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
Seeing as your in Brissie GTRwilson, dare say pop ya head in at Matt Stockers, hes had thorough involvement with alloytecs and the sv6's expecially as ya know by one privalaged member!

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
Had a recent quote by VCM, still $900 for the tune.
The increase in power they quoted was based on a stock car with the tune. They reckon 20-30rwhp gain. I had my sv6 dyno'd last year stock at 65,000km and pulled 193rwhp with nothing more than a K&N air filter.

A lot of people are going for 3.46 diff gears (standard is 2.89) as they provide good off the line acceleration. Think impulsive ran a 14.4 sec quater with diff gears, zorst, cai and tune.

haha also, clicked the link that kept flashing around top of the screen RE: performance manifolds intake manifolds. they gaurantee 25rwhp gain in power over whatever you already have bolted on or done to the car. For a stupidly priced $1900 + shipping + gst. Uh yeah, they are living on another planet and they can get f**ked.

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Hmmm. Ive been thinking of diff gears atm too, to go in before a tune. Whats the cost of these though? What do the SV6s come with? have heard of i think 3.45s being used?

Also, what was the cost of yours if you dont mind me asking? PM me if you like. Where did you get it done?

I had my Tune done at castle hill exhaust in sydney, it was $900 or $950.
The auto's have 2.89 diff gears and as mentioned 3.46 are usually a good balance.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
So is VCM a shop themselves or do i go to any tuning shop that would know how to do a VCM tune?

who/what shop is matt stockers? got details?

As for diff gears. Ive never had any experience with this sort of mod. Would it be something attempted by myself? What the cost of just a set of diff gears? Where would i get them?

Doesnt changing the diff gears also put out the speedo? Would this be corrected if i got the VCM tune, or would i need to get it done elsewhere?

hope that makes sense, thanks for the help people.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
yes vcm is a shop but they are in vic you need to find a tuner in qld that has vcm suite and some experience tuning alloytecs. alloytecs are alot harder to tune the the LS series so don't just go to anyone.

yes changing the diff ratio will thorw out your speedo but yes vcm can fix that when tuning.

no charging diff gears is not easy in fact it's a science but the easy way is to get a complete diff housing with a different ratio and change that yourself. SS etc have different diff ratios what they are in the vz i don't know do some searching.

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
Yeah, what Monaro said. It does throw out the speedo just a little, but take it to a holden shop after the gears are installed and they will be able to calibrate it for you easily enough. Also, as a point of interest, having diff gears put in, only really increases RPM's at highway speeds (100kmph) by about 200rpm average (been doing a bit of research into this hehe).

jimmybobrowe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
So what would the fuel economy be like on the highway? I've been getting around 7L/100km when driving home to South Aust, and its one thing I'd like to stay roughly the same! lol Most of the performance is at the complete opposite side of the scale of fuel economy! :)