Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 2008 Alloytec H/O swap to a VE 2008 SIDI Engine?

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I would think if it's an '08 and hence not SIDI, that there would be less complications. SIDI engines only came with 6 speed auto transmissions, where a 3.6 non SIDI would be a 5 speed auto in an SV6 or Calais (if you have auto transmission). Are you buying it from a licensed Motor trader? When it comes to vehicle registration, I think in NSW it's a bit harder if you buy an engine privately and don't have proper paper work from a licensed motor trader. I wouldn't be able to pick a SIDI from non SIDI, have you tried Wiki for some more info on engine specifics?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I would think if it's an '08 and hence not SIDI, that there would be less complications. SIDI engines only came with 6 speed auto transmissions, where a 3.6 non SIDI would be a 5 speed auto in an SV6 or Calais (if you have auto transmission). Are you buying it from a licensed Motor trader? When it comes to vehicle registration, I think in NSW it's a bit harder if you buy an engine privately and don't have proper paper work from a licensed motor trader. I wouldn't be able to pick a SIDI from non SIDI, have you tried Wiki for some more info on engine specifics?

After talking to him turns out its a 2009 SIDI Engine :)
So i guess it now comes down to does anyone know if its a straight sway? non sidi and gearbox out, and the 2009 sidi engine and box in?
Damn now knowing its a 6speed auto, sounds like i would need the sidi ecu as well now. Otherwise il have check engine lights galore im guessing.

Damn might just the chain changed

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Damn now knowing its a 6speed auto, sounds like i would need the sidi ecu as well now. Otherwise il have check engine lights galore im guessing.

Are you aware SIDI stands for Direct Injection while the Alloytec is port injected? It wouldn't fire at all with an Alloytec ECU.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
You will need the ECU/engine/trans/engine loom.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Damn might just the chain changed

That what I was thinking. When you are up to your ass in alligators it's hard to remember the original intention was to drain the swamp.

I can see the attraction of changing from an engine with 180,000 km to a SIDI with 100,000 Km, but what's the changeover cost going to add up to, and it won't add anything to the value of the car, an engine change will probably devalue it (even if you do wind up with a nicer drive). To get your moneys worth you would have to keep the car for some time and get the use out of it yourself.

Nfsve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Sidi Disinguished by high pressure mechanical pump on LH cylinder head (rear) and stainless hard pipes coming from pump (round & stainless steel looking)
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/gallery/data/583/sidicutaway.jpg

First of the Sidi engines had a unique inlet manifold that looked like this
MACE OTR CAI, MANIFOLD INSULATORS & TUNING COMBO TO SUIT HOLDEN VE-VF SIDI V6 - Mace Engineering Group

No way of running it with your current ECU and no way of getting this engine running in your car.

Revhigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Maloo
There is a cheap SIDI Engine and Trans going local, and was considering about grabbing it and chucking it in my VE. (Because i may need my timing chain replaced)
Being the same year, i would assume things could be pretty straight forward? Unfortunately the SIDI engine doesnt come with the ECU, does the loom and everything just straight fit? Could i even use the alloytecs ecu? and get it remapped?

Its an Auto to btw

Hi Xplaya

Will be cheaper to just fix the chains yourself. I will send you a private message, as we may be able to help out on pricing for a timing chain kit to suit your VE Alloytec.

JarBro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I am pretty sure its a totally different ECU that has 3 ports, so i THINK you would need a new ECU to go with the engine.

Last edited: