Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve 3.0 diff ratio

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
It would help but that motor is lacking torque in the whole powerband. It will also sacrifice economy on the highway though. Would be a good mod combined with full exhaust, cold air intake and tune it will give it more torque down low where its needed.

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
I think since it lacks torque, putting in a lower ratio diff would make a lot of sense - give you that bit more acceleration. True you'd loose a bit of open-road fuel economy but it has two overdrive gears and is the most economical V6 in Australian history as it is, and you might even make that economy back on hilly driving which the 3.0 has notoriously bad fuel economy for.

I was planning on going a lower ratio in mine when I got it, but it turned out it had a 3.27 radio LSD in it anyway cos it was ex cop so I decided to just leave it as is. The economy in mine is 6.5L/100ks on the open road cruising at 90-100 so at least slightly lower ratio diff seems to have no effect on fuel economy at all.

Full tune with exhaust and intake might increase the power/torque a little but the 3.0 SIDI is so highly optimized as it is chances are that any small increases you got from that $2000 investment would still leave you shy of the power/torque of the 3.6 SIDI. If you want something with more power far better to just trade up to a 3.6 then to try to work a 3.0. The performance of the 3.0 is pretty good as it is, you just need to keep the revs up and put your foot into it a little more.