Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 6.0l harmonic ballancer removal

nodscars

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY gen3
Hey anyone have any idea how to remover the harmonic ballancer ona 2007 ssv 6.0l

is it lefty loosey??? cant see a way to lock it up also

scott w

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS and 2010 CX captiva
yeah its a normal thread thread ( NOT A LEFT HAND THREAD ) if the cars a manual put it in gear and leave the handbreak on .
will be bloody tight you will need a breaker bar and piece of pipe , thats what i used anyway

nodscars

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY gen3
ok cheers so did you replace the bolt , holden are saying to tighten it down with the old bolt then fit the new, did you use tread lock or anything?

scott w

Reaction score
Members Ride
you will need to replace the bolt as they are torque to yield ( in other words you only use once ) , i used a longer piece of allthread and a nut to refit the balancer , then i fitted the new bolt .
do you have a manual for an earlier commodore with an ls1 as its the same procedure , if you have plans to fit a cam in the future get an arp balancer bolt , they cost a little more but are re-usable .

nodscars

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY gen3
OIC , thanks for your help, yer i bought a new ballancer but ,i was unaware that i needed a new bolt as well,
Well I finally got the bolt and old ballancer off, the new ones back on just need that new bolt now,
Is there much involved in dropping a cam in?

scott w

Reaction score
Members Ride
depends how handy you are with the tools , theres a few threads started on fitting of a cam ....... look on ls1.com.au

HSV085

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VF2 Redline, 17' VF2 GTS
Make sure you use a ARP balancer bolt, cause they're reusable & heaps stronger than the oem stuff.

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
Wondering why you had to replace the balancer.