Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve 6L V8 Grounding/Earthing of engine

45WW

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv Ve Ute
Morning all
Ssv Ve Ute
Wondering if anyone may know if there’s anything reason why the Tappet covers and coil manifold are not connected to ground at zero volts. Could have something to do with constantly collapsing magnetic fields but unsure. Or maybe they are supposed to be , and I’ve been stung again. Hopefully not!!
Any information or a definitive answer to why they left unearthed would be great.
Also knowledge for any areas or parts of the vehicle which under normal circumstances wouldn’t have earths or bonds.
it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

45WW

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv Ve Ute
Oh forgot to ask!
Any known issues caused if you earth the throttle body?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the coils are earthed to the heads (earth at front drivers and rear passenger) so they dont need any earth to the rocker covers at all, TB has it wiring within the connector to where it needs to go so no point earthing the body

45WW

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv Ve Ute
Hey bud..

found what your saying... yes! the bolt attaches..
I was testing from mounting set screws and getting K and M ohm..
Tested bolt from top to bottom
NO continuity.. insulator.. that’s got to be expensive hardware.

TB is ranging fro .15 up to .25 engine off, I knew it had a functional ground but it’s disabled when car is off.
Read something about putting one on for smoother and faster response... not sure what car though...
If it doesn’t affect operational aspects I’ll put one on as a drain.
Having massive electrolysis and galvanic issues..
Trying to remove any source that’s adding fuel to this raging fire.

I’m gunna loose the old girl anyway, give it a shot.
Can I ask what you drive..
After photos of a car around the age of mine for comparison of cooling system. I’m 2010
Cheers

45WW

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv Ve Ute
Pretty high reading 3.2ohms..
Is there a maximum permissible result for ground wires or main engine bonding conductors?
That you may know or have heard in your travels.
Thanks heaps for your info

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
cant always just test wires for ohms readings as many factors change the readout, a single wire distached from all other connections yes its fine (baring any load that may be applied to it as a good connection on multimeter still dosnt mean it will carry load) but anything in a circuit has interference from any other items also contacting that circuit and many going back to an ecu can read odd, mine is 2007 GTS LS2 which im rewiring at the moment to tidy it up for the new engine once built, TB earthing is all internal and not to body so its not going to change anything adding one to it, with the coils the black wire in the loom is the main earth to the coils which has the eyelet to the front of the head to earth them or back of head passenger side, they dont use any mounting bolts for earthing, earthing to engine should be as closest to zero it will read and also needs to be checked for voltage once loaded up