Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Alternator issues

VE-SSV-NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Darwin
Hey guys. So I've had an alternator problem yesterday on my way home from work. As I pulled out onto the highway I gave it a little bit up to 100km like the usual v8 driver does. straight after that the Alternator warning light popped up. So I got the car back home and checked out the Alternator and it's plugs and also the battery with its terminals and they looked fine to me. After that I took her out for a test driver with the Alternator light still on. I drove it around for a few minutes then I had "service charging system" show up on my dash screen along with "battery saving mode: on" then "contact dealer". So I was assuming my Alternator was about to crap itself. When I start the car it's behaviour is a little sluggish. But the weird thing is that I got my Alternator and battery replaced last year because of pretty much the same issue. To make it stranger It was exactly 1 year ago I had this problem give it take a day. So I am assuming I have to go back to the shop and replace the Alternator or is there any other issue I should be confronting before I do that? And another thing is that when I took the car to the shop last time the guy said to me to keep an eye on my power steering motor since it sits above the Alternator and any slight drip could stuff it up. Cheers for any type of help

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
It sounds like the alternator is on it's way out....But check the battery terminals to make sure they are clean and tight.
I take it you have your paid invoice from the alternator/battery replacement as you said it was almost a year ago to the day.
Your alternator would have had a 12 month/20,000km warranty, take it back to the same mechanic ASAP and see if they can get a new alternator from the original supplier under warranty for you.

If the warranty claim doesn't work out for you and you're thinking of an alternative place to have it diagnosed and repaired this time, give Gary at G&K Auto Electrics in Winnellie a call....Great service and an honest bloke who'll get you sorted out

Alix351

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE
Did you ever get a solution to this? I've got a 2007 VE and having similar issues. Battery replaced recently after had to get RACV to jump start. Tech who came said alternator not charging. Took to my mechanic for replacement and alternator was charging so replaced battery. Been ok for a month but now when warms up giving three warning messages alternator, service charging system and battery saver mode. Starting to think electrical issues now. Would be great to hear if you ever found problem with yours

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Did you ever get a solution to this? I've got a 2007 VE and having similar issues. Battery replaced recently after had to get RACV to jump start. Tech who came said alternator not charging. Took to my mechanic for replacement and alternator was charging so replaced battery. Been ok for a month but now when warms up giving three warning messages alternator, service charging system and battery saver mode. Starting to think electrical issues now. Would be great to hear if you ever found problem with yours
Test the charge system. Theres a gadget for that.

Load test the battery
Battery health check (what % of charge it can hold)

Make sure it’s a Calcium battery

Check for circuits that drain the battery.