Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve audio upgrade s2 sv6 wagon

Liam_D_07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2 SV6 Sportswagon
Hey guys some some quick questions, I was going to replace the stock speakers and run the new ones off an amp. So the amp I got given off a mate it has some hi level inputs but also has RCA inputs?

1.Do you think I should install a line out Converter and use the RCAS or just use the high level input as it saves installing the LOC?

2. If I use the high level inputs the amp doesn't say which wires are to go where into the amp? Does this matter? I thought it would be like RCAS with a designated spot?

3. And does anybody know the output voltage of the headunit it's a sv6 series 2? The amp says it takes anywhere from 200mv to 4v? I'm assuming/hoping it falls between that range?

4. Is this a project you can do at home or is it better to pay someone to do it and how much would a good installer cost? I haven't really done much work on car wiring before but do know my way around some electronic stuff? To me the worst stuff looks like taking off plastic without snapping the clips!!

Cheers for any responses

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Can't answer any of your questions mate but if your worried the hardest part will be not breaking the clips then this job shouldn't be to hard Ive had just about every plastic trim aside the dash of my series 1 and haven't broken a clip yet and if I can do it surely anyone can haha gl.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
G'day mate, I would use a nice quality LOC personally. The ones built into the amps are awesome for subs and when fitted close to the headunit. But when running your signal from the headunit up front to the amp in the rear, it can sometimes pick up a bit of noise. Using a LOC with RCAs will typically overcome this.

The high level inputs are probably colour coded... pair of white, pair of grey, pair of green and a pair of violet..The output of the headunit is not relevant when using a LOC.. the output of the LOC is the relevant part and thats controllable... the closer you can get to 4V the better.

As a professional fitter, I couldn't really say if you can tackle this job yourself or not. A setup like this I usually charge around $300 for labour. A lot of other places here in the SE Melb charge more, some charge less. So shop around and see who you are confident with, call some people and talk to them. See what kind of warranty they offer on their work.

Liam_D_07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2 SV6 Sportswagon
Haha thanks for your confidence Michael hopefully I won't break any/many if I choose to go it alone!

Tasmaniak thank you very much for your advice, I will probably go with the line out converter but just a couple of questions since you are an installer (yes I'm asking for free advice hahah)

Will I need a 5 ch LOC if I want to run all four speakers and a sub in the boot? And is it just you tap the lines out of the stock unit for the speakers? And how do you then hook up the sub?
Also what are some decent brands for LOCs and lastly where do you instal because I may come to you for help after I destroy it haha but there's nothing like having a crack! ;)