Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Berlina 2100kg Tow Package Question - URGENT

rowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hi All,
Sorry for this being a bit of a novel, but I really appreciate everyone's time for reading and advice they can give. If your in a rush skip to the second last paragraph.

I have just signed to the purchase of a new 06 VE Berlina and I am getting screwed around by the dealership regarding the tow hitch, which was negotiated into the deal prior to signing.

As we are country buyers, the deal I had negotiated with this particular dealer over the phone was for a December 06 Crema VE Berlina (unlicensed and with 9kms on the clock so not ex demo), all on roads (including 12 months licensing) and a GENUINE Holden tow hitch for 36500. When we got to the dealer to sign the paper work the dealer proceeded to tell me that the genuine holden tow hitch was not a REECE style hitch (that has the removeable ball and tounge) and that if I wanted the reece style hitch it would be an extra $600 on top of the deal AND since it's a non-genuine holden part it may void the warranty if something goes wrong. The dealer also informed us that the maximum towing capacity of a VE with either hitches installed was 1600kg. This is where I smelt the first rat as I had already been told by another dealer that the maximum available towing capacity (with the right kit) of a VE is 2100kg. Since we required a reece style hitch and we wern't 100% sure he WASN'T telling the truth about the genuine kit not being a reece hitch we relucantly agreed to pay $150 extra for the hitch we wanted and live with the possibility of voiding the warranty. Keep in mind that we had already traveled a couple of hours to get to the dealer and it was 4:30 friday arvo, so we basically had the choice of buying the car (which we were extremely happy with) or going home carless and having wasted a lot of time and effort through doing so. At the end of the day $150 was stuff all in the whole scheme of things, but yes I also agreed it is $150 we shouldn't have had to pay.

Apon returning home the first thing I did was check the list of holden genuine accessories and sure enough, it states that ALL the genuine holden tow packages (1200kg, 1600kg and 2100kg) were reece style hitches and the 2100kg package has an RRP of $995.

First thing today I got onto the phone to the parts section of the dealer I went through and confirmed what I already knew about a genuine hitch being a reece style, and that they had the 2100kg package in stock. After this I rang the sales guy I dealt with and basically spat chips as I had been dwelling on this all night and was quite furious about it. After spilling my mind he reluctantly aggreed to throw in a 2100kg Genuine holden towing package for no more than the $150 we had already agreed on. And the best part is he then proceeded to tell me that even though my car will have the 2100kg towing package installed when I pick it up, if I want to tow over 1600KG I need to get some "Height Adjustable Package" (he couldn't even tell me what it was as they have never done one, but he thinks it may be something to do with hydraulic suspension) from holden that will cost a further $900. The catch here is that the kit is only available ex melbourne (we are in perth) and if I want them to install it prior to taking delivery of the car, the delivery date will be pushed further back than tuesday next week (which we had already agreed on). I told him I was not interested in delaying delivery, so we will not get the extra package installed until we need it, if we ever do.

So basically, what I am asking here is can anyone explain to me what is included in the tow packages and does it sound right that if I have the 2100kg tow package installed, will I only be able to legally tow 1600kg until I get that extra option installed? It would also be much appreciated if someone could provide some photo's of the different kits installed and location of the "Tow Rating" plaque so when we go to collect the car on tuesday I can be 110% sure that I am driving away in a car that has a 2100kg tow package installed and that he isn't still trying to screw me by installing the 1600kg package.

On tuesday, if I am not 110% happy with the car I will not be paying for it until I am. We are in a good positon here as the car is not financed and we will be drawing up a bank cheque that will not be handed over until we are happy with the vehichle and installed accessories. Basically the way I see the contract (again any advice on if this is right would be great) is that any Lie by the dealer about something being installed that is not installed would constitute a breach and therefore make the contract null and void.

So if anyone has a 2100kg VE towhitch installed any advice you can provide as to what is included in the packages and photo's of the install would be extremely appreciated.

On a side note, apart from all the drama's and hassles does 36500 seem like a reasonable buy for a new December 06 Berlina?

And that's about it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Crackerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore
Rowen - I am wondering if the "Height Adjustable Package" the dealer speaks of is simply the stabilizing bars that can be fitted to a Hayman Reece style towing package. These bars are simply to stop the load from dipping the car from sheer weight and keeping the whole load and car at an even height. I could be wrong but as you say Holden charge $995.00 for their "Genuine Holden" package where I can get a genuine Hayman Reece 2100kg package installed for around $650.00. Holden and all other car manufacturers are renowned for over-pricing options (have a look at metallic paint for instance) simply to raise their profit on the deal. If I was you I would drop the Holden towing package all together and just get a genuine Hayman Reece installed for half the price. I wouldn't get too worried about the "void your warranty" hype, just another way to scare customers into paying ridiculous money for overpriced options. Just my opinion though.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
at work i serviced a vz berlina that had air bags in the rear springs also note space for a fuse in the fuse box for "level ride suspension" , so maybe its the same system there trying to sell you, but i wouldnt shell out 900 odd buck until you know exactly what this package does and what parts are installed to make it work

Rogues

Reaction score
Members Ride
Odyssey VE Calais
Personally it sounds like that A**** is getting at you..........
'Reece' IS the standard fitment for holden........1200,1600 & 2100kg
I had a 2100kg fitted to my VZ sedan no problems.......nothing was said about any extra doo-dads required. I have had a 1600kg fitted to my VE also.
You pay significant extra for the 2100kg bar over the 1600 so I assume its designed to take the load.
In saying that I guess it depends WHAT you are going to tow and HOW FAR...
I have seen in these forums discussion on the need for 'oil-coolers' when heavy towing........but that is 'the car'..not 'the bar'.
The bar rating by the way is a plaque on the actual removeable part of the tow-hitch.
Best of luck,........get it right and be happy or cancel the deal mate, there are more 06 models out there and dealers more than happy to meet your needs,.....this guy 'knew' you you werent going to travel the distance you did and go home car-less.........it a 'principle of negotiation' and in my opinion he has used it against you, legally, but not morally right.
Cheers Rogues

rowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
,.....this guy 'knew' you you werent going to travel the distance you did and go home car-less.........it a 'principle of negotiation' and in my opinion he has used it against you, legally, but not morally right.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I'm not overly worried about that as I am still pretty happy with the car, and think the price is not too bad. All I want from the dealer is that the correct tow hitch they have promised be installed when I go to pick up the car.

So what you are saying is that on the actual removeable tounge of the hitch there is a plaque fixed that will state the maximum towing capacity? So in theory, if the 2100kg hitch is installed (as he said it will be) the plaque will say that the towing capacity is 2100kg, but if the 1600kg hitch is fitted the plaque will say 1600kg is the maximum weight that can be towed?

Can anyone that has a 2100kg hitch confirm the above comment, and possibly post a photo of the plaque that I can print? I will take the photo in and compare it with the the plaque on my vehicle.

The vehicle will probably never need to tow more than a normal trailer, but we have horses in the family and I need to be sure that if I am ever in the unlikely situation where I need to tow a float, it will be possible.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Mate i used to work for parkside towbars in welshpool the towsafe or "reese style" bars i used to fit to VE's were over 2000kg and we never fitted any load stabilising equipment.

Legaly the bar will have to have the load rating on it. It will have to have a sticker on it saying 2100 towing capacity and around 500kg ball weight.

If your worried about the bar and the load you will be towing go and see the boys at parkside, they will be able to help you out.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I have a 2100kg genuine tow hitch on my VE. It has "holden" stickers on it and the square "removable" tongue setup. On the tongue it has a sticker saying it's rated for 2100 kgs and up to 350 (?) kg towball weight.

Nothing was mentioned about suspension mods and IMHO as long as the trailer is correctly loaded, should not be necessary. As far as I'm concerned, my car is legal to tow 2100kgs and if suspension mods were required, then it should have been included in the quoted price of the tow hitch.

To buy a 2100kg tow bar would mean you probably want to tow something up to 2100kg. If you only wanted to tow 1600kg I'm sure you would have bought the lighter bar. I would say it's the dealers responsibility since they accepted the order.

Reaper

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Holden provides a full range of towing equipment to suit your needs. The 2100kg towing kit is available with a range of accessories to suit every requirement. Only Holden approved tow bars are designed specifically for your vehicle, and are covered by Holden's warranty. Price quoted includes Towbar, tounge, wiring harness and equaliser hitch. Mandated brake equipment requirements apply when trailer loads exceed 750kg, please refer to Owner's Handbook for further information. Mandated load distribution equipment requirements apply when trailer loads exceed 1600kgs. Available only on vehicles with automatic transmission.
Taken from www.holden.com.au

rowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
According to the quote from Airstrike, the 2100kg kit contains an "Equaliser Hitch" that must be used if the weight to be towed is more than 1600kg. Based on that, i'm guessing that the equaliser hitch is removeable and that the only difference between the two kits is that the 2100kg kit includes the hitch and the 1600kg kit doesn't (that was the only difference I could see in the writeup on holden about the kits is the inclusion of that equaliser hitch).

I found the this picture on carsales.

Reaper, can you confirm that the black part on the ground behind the car is in fact the equaliser hitch, or is that something else that is purchased seperatly?

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
The parts on the ground are a load equaliser. the two clamps mount onto your trailer then are attached to the the tow bar via two poles with chains. they are supposed to allow you to carry heavier loads (ie: heavier ball weights) than the manufacturers specifications. However the one seen there i would not touch with a 10 foot pole. (dodgy holden junk)