Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE berlina power steering fails at low rpm

bedazzler

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 V6 berlina
Hi I hope someone here can help me my v6 VE BERLINA's power steering has suddenly started failing at low Roma ( under 1000rpm) have had 2 mechanics check it out 1 said it's the power steering pump and the other said it's a sensor any suggestions greatly appreciated thanks again

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Hi I hope someone here can help me my v6 VE BERLINA's power steering has suddenly started failing at low Roma ( under 1000rpm) have had 2 mechanics check it out 1 said it's the power steering pump and the other said it's a sensor any suggestions greatly appreciated thanks again

Can't say I've heard of a sensor affecting power steering, I know my old VX II Calais did have speed sensitive power steering where the power steering assistance increased at very low speed, as far as I know Holden dropped this feature with later models. For power steering failure at low engine revs I would think the pump itself needs to be replaced. Did the mechanic who said it's a sensor give any reasoning for his thoughts?

Edit, I just noticed after posting this that there is another thread where someone is asking for location of sensor for power steering, which from the thread seems that it increases the engine idle speed (presumably as you turn the wheel the idea being that the pump loads the engine and if the engine is idling the speed is increased so the engine doesn't stall) this seems to be a different issue to the pump not working at low rpm. Will be interesting to see with other posts if anyone has more useful info.

Last edited:

bedazzler

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 V6 berlina
He said it was a sensor for the sports mode falsely telling the ECU the car is in sports mode at high speed as apparently the power steering sensitivity is reduced too stop loss of control