Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NZ] VE Calais drive failure

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Even if the diff had no oil in it there would be a long lead time until it shat itself with it rumbling and carrying on. The description from the OP seems that it was quite sudden that it stopped working without warning or symptoms.

I’ve never had a diff go on any car I’ve ever owned, some were rumbling when I bought them and drove fine until I got rid of them. Had a few auto gearboxes just stop driving though, either through solenoid control issues or lack of fluid.

I've had a few diffs go on me..6 or 7 of them...5 of them was with my EH...No rumblings...Just stripped the pinion to crown wheel gears and ended up with no drive....

Last edited:

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Maybe just get someone to look under the car while you attempt to drive it - if the drive shift isn't spinning it's transmission problem. If it is spinning then diff problem

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hi guys, just tried driving away at traffic lights and no drive. Car revs but no movement. Had it towed and machanic quoting 7k for new trans. Tow truck driver suggested diff problem. I don’t trash this car so supposed! What do you guys reckon?
Dead gearbox.

Our VE Calais has gone through 2 of those shitty 5L-60e gearboxes.
The first time had intermittent occurrences of those symptoms and then one day my wife (who is the most beautiful person in the world. In. The. World.) never made it around the roundabout, which was a large main road roundabout.

A poor rebuild and two years later. Gone again. Still under warranty but they had gone out of business.

If you have a series 1.5 or series 2 you’ll have the 6speed gearbox. I’d be looking for new crate ones from Holmart or Eagle if the quote is $7k. A year ago, there were some new ones for as little As $2k for a while.

If it’s a series 1 Calais, it will be a 5speed auto and they are a crap gearbox. Parts are hard to come by for them and so that may well be the expense.

Our second rebuild cost us $5k.

Heat killed it the first time and heat might well do it again unless I learn how to use AN fittings and get a huge cooler onto it. There are
VF cooler kits around that fit but can be expensive (my rational brain says, a gearbox rebuild is even more!)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Interestingly, the 5L-50&60e in VZ SV6 and Adventra SX6 & CX6 don’t seem to kill them. They hold up well.