Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais V - 6L V8 Auto - Acceleration issues

Fakestamp

fakestamp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Hi Guys,
I have looked through the previous posts and couldnt find that this had already been posted. Apologies if this question has already been asked.

I have a 2008 VE Calais V. It has an Auto 6L V8 with a sports exhaust system (four pipes).

What I have noticed is intermittently when I accelerate there is a delay before the car accelerates. I would say approx 1-2 seconds. And it doesnt always happen.

It seems to occur when I am either accelerating from a cruising speed (eg overtaking) or accelerating after slowing down - eg coming out of a corner.

The Car has 65,000KM and I have just had a 65K service done at Suttons. I asked them to check this and they couldnt seem to find any problem.

Was just wondering if this is normal for an auto V8?

Thanks heaps for any thoughts

Cheers

BumbleBeeSSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VEII SSV Redline Ute
Not sure what it is but mine does it too. I figured it was just the auto slush box so I use the active select thing most of the time.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Common problem. Do a search for "transmission lag" or similar. There was a big thread about it here a while back.

It does it after you've slowed down then accelerating out of a corner on the 3-2 downshift right?

Mine did it too, took it Holden who said they "reprogrammed" the shift points whatever that means. It's now a bit better but as said above, I just drive it in Active Select mode to avoid the problem. Plus I prefer AS mode anyway :)

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Mine does it, not quite as bad once the tuner played with it a bit though. I'm used to it now.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
mine did it sometimes, but i was told it was the fly-by-wire accelerator. Although, after it was tuned, it doesn't seem to do it any more. The only thing that was changed was the torque management.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Drive by Wire would be my guess too. You have no direct cable link to your throttlebody like on older style motors, so the input you give, doesnt always give the traditional response you might be expecting.

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Thunder Ute
It's Torque Management guys. Its built into the computer program. It's the TCM (trans computer) requesting zero torque from the motor in order to make the required gear change. It's built in as a protection mechanism however I think Holden went a little too far with it, hence the reprogramming to improve driver feel. And this is why it greatly improves with a tune as most tunes drastically reduce the Torque Management aspects of the tune.

Fakestamp

fakestamp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Hi,

Thanks everyone for your replies - I will review the other thread and responses here and see what dealer said.

I also just thought of something - I cant remember the name of it - but the car has this traction control which automatically comes on when I start the car and I usually forget to switch it off -could it have something to do with this?

I will see what happens when I am driving around without it on if there is any change

But once again thanks for all the input it gives me a few options to discuss with the dealer.

Cheers

BumbleBeeSSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VEII SSV Redline Ute
Drive by Wire would be my guess too. You have no direct cable link to your throttlebody like on older style motors, so the input you give, doesnt always give the traditional response you might be expecting.

So.... Thats why i have never been able to find a throttle cable? Man, i feel like a tool! haha