Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Commodore light switch issue

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Id try pulling the light switch apart' see if u can bend in worn metal tongues to be hard up like new

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s not in dark mode is it? The cops used to have that.

seramod.pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega VE Series II 2012
do your indicators work correctly
Yes the indicators work 100% fine, left right and hazard/emergency.

On a side note I had two changes made to the car this week.
1. Additional 14pin trailer socket installed on the bumper The trailer socket was supposed to be in parallel (ping 1-7) on the 7 pin socket (existing trailer socket) connected to pins (1-7) on the 12 pin socket. (new socket) I went to tow something and no lights on the trailer nothing. Then realised it was actually wired incorrectly on the socket.
2. A new brake controller was also put in by the same company on the same day (Redarc Towpro v3). Ironically this also does not work (but not sure whether this is a fault or something on the trailer side needing some additional wiring on pins 8-12). My suspicion here is that there needs to be some form of auxiliary power through the 12 pin adapter. One problem at a time I guess right.

I have completely removed both trailer sockets after I discovered it was wired incorrectly, but the functionality was still broken and the light switch near the dash did nothing. Following the wiring of the trailer sockets they go into a "Hayman Reece Tow Bar ECU 04826".
I disconnected this whole harness from the rear of the car and tested just to see whether the park lights could come on. Same problem no functionality on the lights at all.

I have not disconnected or touched the brake controller. Very puzzled.
Tempted to take it back to the company who did the install but don't have much confidence in them resolving it. Although they did offer that I bring the car to them.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I tried disconnecting the battery (via the positive wire) and had it disconnected for several hours.. no joy. Troubling issue!
Nothing through that switch appears to work. Parkers lights, low beam or even the trying to turn the lights off (when it's dark and they come on in auto mode ).
Disconnect the negative terminal.
For both switched earth reasons and for safety reasons.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’d also be taking it back to them. They wired it incorrectly, they should fix it so everything works.

They also should have handed the car back over to you after they tested everything to make sure it works.

seramod.pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega VE Series II 2012
The issue has finally been found.
Unbelievable. When they installed the new brake controller (which isn't working still diagnosing this end) they left out the the plug that connects to the back of the light switch. It literally took hours to diagnose.

For anyone else interested on disassembly of the driver side of the dash to access this light switch watch the video below. at 6:52 they show how to pull apart some of the right side driver panels on a VE commodore.
Access to the light switch and wiring can then be inspected.

Can't believe I let these people touch my car!

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Why did you add the extra 12 pin plug and leave the 7? Normally you would replace the 7 pin with the 12. Any 7 pin flat trailer plug will plug into the 12 pin. If you need the functionality of the reversing sensors, there are 12 pin plugs available with the magnet in them to make sure it will continue to work.

The Redarc you have fitted goes into learn mode when first fired up. You may have to drive a few klms for it to work out what it needs to do. It's primarily a proportional unit and it needs to work out its x and y axis to make sure it can apply the correct amount of braking when you need it. This is buried in the installation/user guide.

They should have set it up to output via pin 5 on the 7 pin plug. I notice that you have pin 5 of the 7 pin plug going to pin 2 on the 12 pin plug and pin 2 going to pin 7 on the 12 pin plug.

If you plug your braked trailer into the 12 pin, the brakes will only activate when you select reverse.... And then with full 12 volts. Conversely, if you activate the electric brakes, the revers lights will go on on the trailer (if fitted).

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Just re read your first post and realised that I was talking about the wiring before it was "reversed". Regardless, get all the pins re checked to make sure that they have run them correctly. If you are testing the output of the Redarc via pin 5, make sure it is actually putting out a voltage when you test it. (they work by varying the output voltage from zero to 12 v, depending on how much brake force you need.) Turn the gain control up to 10.
The control unit only outputs voltage to pin 5, it doesn't get any power or earth from the trailer. So if it's been installed correctly, it should be showing variable voltage at pin 5 (depending on braking requirement).

Redarc are too smart for themselves. If they detect that you don't need any trailer brakes (ie you're parked), the output will be reduced to zero after a few seconds regardless of what the gain controller is set to. Pain in the a*** to test. So your unit may in fact be working properly, you just can't tell until you tow something. I usually get someone to stomp on the brake pedal while I'm holding a multi meter on pin 5 so that I can see the voltage reading immediately.

The trailer brakes will need a good earth, which is provided by pin 10. Make sure that they haven't just connected pin 10 to pin 3. Pin 10 needs a good solid earth to the car and is normally a thicker wire that the one on pin 3.

seramod.pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega VE Series II 2012
Why did you add the extra 12 pin plug and leave the 7? Normally you would replace the 7 pin with the 12. Any 7 pin flat trailer plug will plug into the 12 pin. If you need the functionality of the reversing sensors, there are 12 pin plugs available with the magnet in them to make sure it will continue to work.

The Redarc you have fitted goes into learn mode when first fired up. You may have to drive a few klms for it to work out what it needs to do. It's primarily a proportional unit and it needs to work out its x and y axis to make sure it can apply the correct amount of braking when you need it. This is buried in the installation/user guide.

They should have set it up to output via pin 5 on the 7 pin plug. I notice that you have pin 5 of the 7 pin plug going to pin 2 on the 12 pin plug and pin 2 going to pin 7 on the 12 pin plug.

If you plug your braked trailer into the 12 pin, the brakes will only activate when you select reverse.... And then with full 12 volts. Conversely, if you activate the electric brakes, the revers lights will go on on the trailer (if fitted).
Hi RJP.

Love your comment and generally very good info here for other people hooking up a trailer adapter and brake controller.

One thing I did not wire it this way the installer did. After disconnecting the trailer harness and probing each of the pins observed that it was wired this way. The adapter wires were actually in reverse order (I suspect they didn't check them and just connected them based on colour, which may have been put in as though it was a plug instead of a socket).

This has been corrected.

Great info on the calibration for other users who install a Redarc towpro device.

On the reasoning for keeping the 7 pin adapter (I believe this is a more secure fit), If you connect a 7 pin plug to a 12 pin socket it doesn't sit as firmly and can be a little loose. It may be enough for contact but personally I didn't see this as a firm fit and when towing something heavy like a boat, not the best idea if there is a chance of a slip with the wind driving down the motorway.

In terms of the brake controller itself working with the trailer. Someone may have attempted a tow with a very heavy object and noticed no brakes... Also the brake discs themselves show rust spots and no shine another clear indication the brakes weren't being applied.

You are most definitely correct. about pin 10. Guess what.. They the person who installed had no wires nada, nothing on pins 8-12 .Unbelievable!!!
They are literally sending people out on the road with brake controllers that may not be functional.

Last edited:

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Glad you found it helpful (after I realised I was barking up the wrong tree initially). My daughter had the same issue of reversed wires when she bought a brand new D-Max that came with the Redarc installed by the dealer (ie outsourced).

Re 12 pin plugs, I've been installing and using them for over 30 years with 7 pin and 12 pin trailer plugs with no problems towing horsefloats and the like. Never had an issue with them being a less than firm fit. If yours isn't a firm fit, check the spring on the flap and make sure it closes over the trailer plug fully or the male pins on the trailer plug. Sometimes these pins get compressed and don't fit firmly into the car plug. You'll notice that the pins are split. Just insert a small screw driver and push the two halves out a little and they will fit firmer.

After all, a 12 pin plug is just a 7 pin plug with a separate 5 pin version on the other side. There should be no difference in fit between the 7 pin side of a standard 7 pin plug and 12 pin version.

Once less set of wires is one less thing to go wrong. Especially as these things hang out the back end of the car in the wet...

Have a deep read of the user manual for the redarc, it contains some hints on how to set the thing up. They can be temperamental buggers to get to go initially as they do all sorts of electrical wondery while they set themselves up. Once they set themselves up, they are a very good unit and you'll have no troubles with it.