Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE commodore radio reception problem.

dmp8810

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6
07 SV6 sedan.

bad radio static. was thinking of putting amplified antenna on rear window or side window. just disconnect the factory antenna and plug my amped one into the head unit.

Thoughts?

Want my new speakers to sound good even if its on the radio.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
ve already has 2 antenna's.... the one on the roof and the one incorporated into the rear demister on the window. do a search on this topic... I quoted the manual word for word, so I'm 150% sure that at least my car (basically an upspecced omega) has it. it has a stupid name called a 'diversity antena'.

couple of questions:
have you got a bee sting aftermarket antena or stock? has poor reception always been an issue or just recently? have you been in another car similar to yours and reception has been much better, or is it the same?
bad static could also be caused by other issues not related to the actual reception. do you have an amp or any other non standard powered device installed? if so, this can cause 'alternator whine' or feedback through the audio. what type of static is it? just poor reception or does it sound like a local issue (static changes with revs, or doesnt change when you drive into an underground carpark)?

being able to answer these questions can isolate possible causes that might not have anything to do with aerial issues. or it could be that the 'diversity antena' isnt functioning correctly?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
usually poor reception/ static is caused by the earth point on the antenna base working loose, having the antenna base replaced 9/10 fixes the problem, prick of a job tho... the roof lining has to come down and you gotta grow an extra elbow to get into where the base is bolted to

dmp8810

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6
I only got this SV6 a few weeks ago. I havent gotten into the manuals yet. Thought id ask and see first. So the diversity antenna in the window is only for head unit radio?
i have a stock antenna.and all standard audio at the moment. Will be changing soon.Just very intermittently on some stations u can hear cracking/cutting out type noise. the antenna base is in the roof lining? what the?

Im thinking a amplified antenna in series with the existing one could help.

Or just put my own diversity antenna up.

Or just follow antenna wiring and check for phsyical problems.

Its a great car im just picky with things,has to be perfect ha ha.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No, the antenna base is above the roof lining, below the antenna funnily enough :)

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
On Early Series I Models, only the Calais V, Statesman and Caprice got the diversity antenna. (Not sure about HSV Models)
Other models just have the single roof mounted antenna.
If you have the Colour LCD Radio/HVAC then you have the option to add a second antenna (There are two antenna inputs on these), but unless you have one of the above model, you will not have the wiring harness going back.

As others have said, check the earth point, as this is a known common cause.

bsmith83

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 ve berlina sedan v6/4a
Is there a workshop manual, that will help me access the earthing wire under the rooflining. I am currently having awful problems with my AM reception, FM is fine in 06 VE Berlina

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
I'm the opposite, my AM is fine, FM sucks, like it is just off frequency - in fact that is my diagnosis, the difference in clarity even when it IS getting good reception to a CD or USB etc is amazing. I've had the base changed, antenna changed, still does it to the point I am unable to listen to it some days. I've been onto Holden Customer Service today about it actually, goes back to the shop for a 3rd look at on Monday.

Personally I think it is a dodgee component in the head unit making it just off frequency, lets see what the boffins at HQ say.

dmp8810

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6
so series II VE have 2 antenna inputs? i might see if i can earth the antenna better. Or just put my own better amplified antenna in. Worked on the VY fine.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
I know mine has the same symptoms when I have the phone charger hooked up the inside the console.