Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE commodore radio reception problem.

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
ve already has 2 antenna's.... the one on the roof and the one incorporated into the rear demister on the window. do a search on this topic... I quoted the manual word for word, so I'm 150% sure that at least my car (basically an upspecced omega) has it. it has a stupid name called a 'diversity antena'.
I'm sure my S2 SSV only has one useless aerial. If you unscrew the one on the roof you get zippo reception.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Radio module being replaced in mine under warranty, I'm happy with that.

By 2 antennas, he may mean to output plugs in the back of the head unit.

SV6 Matt

The Recov Cruiser
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Toyota 105 series Landcruiser
I'm sure my S2 SSV only has one useless aerial. If you unscrew the one on the roof you get zippo reception.

my ve sv6 had no antenna when i bought it from car dealership, reception wasnt too bad 80% of the time but the other 20% it was like listening to the beach on a stormy arvo, but j h p have an alright aftermarket one on their site it works heaps good for me

dmp8810

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6
Im doing something about it this week, may just boost the FM signal for the antenna,with a signal booster OR fit a new antenna all together, window stick on amplified antenna. havent decided yet. getting quotes for antennas/boosters this week.

Hammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV ute s2
here is something that maybe helpful, the units which have sat nav with traffic updates actually have a splitter inline so they are actually splitting the one aerial feed into to separate parts of the head unit, i have not tried it with the splitter out but it may be part of the cause.

parkerhawkinz

Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SS Sedan
VE Series 2 one antenna

Yes myth busted

VE Series 2 ( in my case SS sedan 2011) has only one antenna connected however has 2 input slots
My car has terrible radio reception. Any thoughts on type or possibility of a second antenna?

image.jpg

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
Is there a workshop manual, that will help me access the earthing wire under the rooflining. I am currently having awful problems with my AM reception, FM is fine in 06 VE Berlina

AM reception is on a different band width and is around 1.5Mhz where as FM is around 100Mhz...AM reception can either be good or poor during the day depending on distance and improves 100% during the night...AM is also susceptible to Atmospheric Conditions, terrain, buildings, power line interference etc. and particularly static if their is a thunder storm either local or hundred of Km's away....:smoking:

Last edited:

Stuart123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SSV Manual Sportwagon
This is an old thread, but i had some additional info that may help.
My 2011 ve s2 sportwagon had awful FM reception most days. Some days it would be fine for a while, others very bad.
My issue was different to what has been mentioned here so far.
I pulled the dash apart and the right hand side of my head-unit looks similar to the picture parkerhawkinz (post17) posted. Except there is a small black rectangle box mounted there. It splits the inbound antenna then plugs into 2 spots into the head-unit (one into the same spot in parkers pic) the other plugs into another spot (live traffic updates or something?)
I bypassed the splitter and plugged the antenna directly into the head-unit. Reception is fine since then.

Confirmed the second antenna input is not used on my car ether, so just the little roof one.

Hopefully i have explained this well enough to be of use to someone.

Regards,
Stu.

Xplorer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SII Z
Stuart123 Thanks for your post.
I'm in a similar situation with most posts here and have a VE Series II SV6 that has terrible FM radio reception.
Driving around Melbourne, and in particular, around the CBD, the FM reception is on and off, extremely static. Exactly like driving around listening to AM radio when you drive under the high voltage lines and get static. FM radio sounds exactly the same.
Watson Holden in Bundoora have looked at it many times under warranty, changed the antenna and base, checked the cabling... but the fault still persists. Many times it's that bad I just turn it off. Workshop manager has also been for a drive and heard the poor reception, but they continuously fail to locate the fault.

I'm reluctant to pull the dash apart to check behind as it still is under warranty (extended), but the inconvenience of booking it in, dicking around, inconveniencing my daily work, not having a car, to find they still can't locate the fault, is a real horses arse.