Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Commodore Wins Wheels Car of The Year

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Holden’s all new VE Commodore has received top honours at the prestigious Wheels Car of Year awards evening held at an industry function in Melbourne earlier tonight.

Judged on performance, fuel economy and value for money, Wheels judges put 21 of the best new models of 2006 through their paces. After the magazine’s gruelling six day test program the VE Commodore emerged victorious.

Launched in July 2006, the all-new VE Commodore was the largest single automotive program in Australia’s history and helped Commodore remain Australia’s most popular car, a title it has held for eleven consecutive years.

Holden invested over one billion dollars in the VE Commodore program to ensure the car delivers exceptional ride and handling, performance, quality, more technology and more features than ever before at a point of unquestionable value.

Holden’s Chairman and Managing Director, Denny Mooney, said the win as the perfect start to 2007.

“This is certainly a fantastic honor,” Mr Mooney said.

“The award gives much deserved recognition to everyone at Holden who worked so hard on making the VE Commodore range a success.

“We are in no doubt that this was an incredibly tough award to win. The competition was tough and the judging criteria is of an extremely high standard.

“We designed, engineered and manufactured this range to meet world class standards and to be able to compete against some of the most expensive and most carefully crafted cars around the world. Winning this highly respected award is recognition that we achieved these objectives.”

Holden adds this win to the growing list of accolades for the VE Commodore:
- Winner: MOTOR Bang For Your Bucks (VE Commodore SS)
- Winner: News Ltd Car Of The Year (VE Calais V)
- Winner: Drive.com People’s Choice Award (VE Commodore SS V)
- Nominated: World Car Of The Year

Started in 1962, Wheels Car of the Year is Australia’s original new car award and the longest continuously-running award of its type in the world.

Source - Holden Media

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
great work by the holden design crew.

keep up the good work for the next generation guys:w00t:

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
Wooooooo. Hopefully sells a few cars in the process. Visit drive.com blogs in the next few days and listen to all of the complainers giving crap to wheels and Holden.

VHSLX3300

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S Pac VH SL/X
lol good to hear...Now I can begin my Ford Holden war with a mate who said Wheels put the VE down. hehe oh this is good. :)

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Why am not surprised that Wheels gave the VE COTY. I'm ready to be shot down in flames after this but here goes. Whilst the VE is an improvement over past commodores I really don't think it is worthy of Wheels COTY. 2 recalls, Design compromises, panel gaps, useless space (weight) saving spare wheel, widely criticised A-Pillar, Dodgy Aircon and still ugly in many peoples views. The Wheels judges have simply let their emotions or patriotism cloud their judgement. Why is it that other car awards have gone to the Aurion? Why is it Wheels magazine is so good at giving awards to lemons and favouring the Aussie product. The VE has now joined the ranks of other cars that should not have been given COTY like the Leyland P76, Camira, TM Magna, VN, VR, VT and Ford BA. Some of these cars maybe sentimental old favourites now but not one of these cars deserved the award. i.e. P76(bad quality, unreliable over heating engine), Camira (lets not go there), VN (harsh, unrefined, hacked Opel, bad brakes, oil leaks and poor finish), VR (face lifted VN/VP, still leaks oil, Engine still Harsh and G'box nothing to talk about) TM Magna (plastic fantastic, oil burners, bad g'box), VT(modified opel, oil leaks, heavy, compromised suspension) and BA(brake shudder, cooling probs, under cooled auto, CPU freeze ups). Perhaps the Wheels COTY curse will strike the VE as well.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
You are not really afraid of posting comments like that... mmmmmm......interesting.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
you could see it coming though....the only real competition the VE had was the aurion and i dont think its been selling that well....mite be wrong but i aven't seen many on the road. and the base models look very strange...:whistling

-UNKNOWN-

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VR S2 BT1 5 Speed, N13 Pulsar Vector
Ford wasnt even in the top ten.. Ha! I thought Ford was "up there" with holden! So Ford says.