Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Dash Tweeters

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
whinge whinge whine....... i have heard the systems in a lot of other vehicles.... the one in the SS sounds every bit as good as any i have heard from factory. Mine did sounded odd at first, i adjusted the bass up and fiddled with the fade and it sounds fine to me. :driving:

V8s and beer

Everything else is trivia
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 R8 Clubsport LSA Tourer #0035
Yeah, I can cop that...I suppose it does sound a bit like whinging Hunter, and I agree, it sounded okay to me too....but to be fair, Holden sells it as a "Premium sound system", and by God, it is the distance of jupiters orbit from the premium part of town. If you have not had a squiz at the centre dash speaker, I suggest you do. Looks like something you would discover within a 3 dollar pocket radio from Aldi.

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
Is the centre speaker just a Ute thing, or in all of the VE's? Just contemplating a speaker upgrade here too

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
What size is the center speaker?? Im thinking of replacing it, is it 6x9??

Ill have a sub and amp as well as splits, but would like abit of music still coming off the dash. If not, how do you disconnect it/open it? is it hard to access??

cheers guys

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
whinge whinge whine....... i have heard the systems in a lot of other vehicles.... the one in the SS sounds every bit as good as any i have heard from factory. Mine did sounded odd at first, i adjusted the bass up and fiddled with the fade and it sounds fine to me. :driving:

It's not whinging ... it's fact. That's great if it sounds fine to you ... you can be happy without spending more money ... but you're obviously not an audio person Hunter.

Over the last 25 years I have sold car audio, sold, designed and installed professional audio systems into night clubs and recording studios, owned big PA systems and I still mix live bands for a hobby. I am an audio person to the core so I'm not going to be happy with what sounds average to me.

Forget what other vehicles have ... No manufacturer is going to install a stereo that i would be happy with unless it wore a plus $200k price tag with a high-end McIntosh or equivalent.

And if someone tells me Bose or Blaupunkt are high end I'll vomit. Just look at the paper coned speakers that must cost a whole $8 each!!!!! "no highs, no lows .. it must be Bose"

Audio is one of the most personal things in the world because everyone's ears are very different ... and the speakers are the most personal part of audio.

I personally have a Cadence Wild beast sub and MB Quart splits.

Anyway ... why is changing the audio any different to making any other mods to a car? Am I whining cos I wasn't happy and changed suspension, made engine mods, exhaust etc?

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV

Ill have a sub and amp as well as splits, but would like abit of music still coming off the dash. If not, how do you disconnect it/open it? is it hard to access??

cheers guys

Don't go replacing it because you have no way of adjusting it's level independantly from the front door/dash splits. And I would suggest that if you change your door speakers and tweeters you should disconnect the centre speaker completely. If your new speakers are a higher impedance or less efficient than the origional ones (which they are likely to be) you will find that your centre speaker will now be louder than before ... totally screwing up the staging in the car.

As I mentioned earlier ... it is only there to provide imaging from the centre of the car. When you listen to music the vocals are generally mixed centre, with instruments, drums, effects panned slightly left or right. To achieve a realistic stereo effect, the audio system should provide a sense of space, with "staging" in the centre.

Because high frequencies are directional and easily absorded, and low frequencies are non directional, it is difficult to achieve accurate representation in a challenging environment like a car without individual control over frequencies from a good graphic equalizer. (I'm talking 31 band third octave ... not 7 or 8 bands).

SOOOO ... how do you get around this on a shoestring budget .... throw in a centre speaker.

This is not like a centre channel on a 5.1 system ... which is mixed as an individual channel when recorded. It is simply a mono channel pulling pull the sort of mid range frequencies you'd find in vocals to the middle of the car.

It's crap and totally stuffs up the stereo mix that was recorded.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
alright cheers for that mate, I find in the stock system it tries to play the role of a sub, I listen to alot of metal and when you turn it up abit, instead of a nice doublekick etc, all you hear is bumfbumf shitty distortion haha.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
from what i've read on US G8 forums, the center speaker is rubbish. its a 3.5"... and when you replace it with an aftermarket one it overpowers the front stage, so much so that people have gone to the trouble of putting resistors inline to drop the power going to it. definitely disconnect the crap and spend your money on better front splits.

it is afterall a STEREO. this is produced with left and right signals. 5.1 is a different kettle of fish, but that centre speaker is definitely not a center channel... its just a mix of left and right. do yourself a favour and disconnect it completely.

V8s and beer

Everything else is trivia
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 R8 Clubsport LSA Tourer #0035

Hey mate,
It is a 4 inch paper thing with a magnet the size of a sparrows nut. To get it out, just pull the grill up from the front (closest to windscreen) and work the clips up. There are 2 phillips screws holding it in, and they were bloody tight, but persist with it if they are.....

Cheers

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
I disconnected my centre speaker the other day and it now sounds a lot better. I will be replacing the door speakers soon, but that centre speaker is a joke... ffs it makes a stereo system a mono system!!