Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Door Seal Creak

WreckWren

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Which SuperPro strut tops were fitted?
Polylast or urethane?
Polylast, the 1590AK with the bigger VF bearings. Very happy with them, nice and soft and feel great. By "no improvement" I meant in regards to the door noise, the car drives much better with these bushings and bearings than it did with the OEM ones.

On VE the whole hinge needs to be replaced. That will require some planning, some nifty spray can skills. Some guidance.

There is the factory manual you can download for the instructions for the job there once the side bar is enabled for navigation of the document.
That's a real drag. The manual mentions a torque spec for the pin retention bolt, so I was hoping it could be changed individually. To replace the whole hinge I'll have to do some paint & all that. :(
I gave the door a wiggle up and down with it mostly closed and sure enough the panel gap at the top of the door changes size indicating the top hinge is most likely buggered. Reasonable assumption?
Do you know if GM still sells new hinges for these?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Polylast, the 1590AK with the bigger VF bearings. Very happy with them, nice and soft and feel great. By "no improvement" I meant in regards to the door noise, the car drives much better with these bushings and bearings than it did with the OEM ones.
It wont be the strut tops,
The urethane versions can creak if they're not greased before installation.

WreckWren

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Wow, great find - thanks very much mate. I'll give the hinges a more thorough inspection at work on Monday and most likely grab a hinge from that site. Will update here as I go so anyone else trying to track down similar issues in future can get the info.

It wont be the strut tops,
The urethane versions can creak if they're not greased before installation.
Oh yeah, I didn't change them for this noise - I changed them because the rubber ones were buggered and the shocks were old. Yeah the harder ones have a part number ending BK, the G8 forums have a lot of people saying the elastomer ones have similar NVH to new OEM ones but don't wear out so quickly - can confirm they do not increase the NVH. Have run nolathane bushes in older cars, always found it too harsh on the shite roads in aus.
The superpro bushes are dear but IMO very much worth the money. The revised bearing is a lot smoother and more robust than the OEM VE one too, and the flat top washer is a better solution than the cup washer on OEM.

WreckWren

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Update: had a good mess around with the hinge and it seems to be doing its job, the strap is a bit noisy but giving the door a lot of force in any direction when closed doesn't seem to make any noise. Perhaps windscreen adhesive has partially let go on the A pillar. Lubing the screen seal under the rubber trim didn't seem to make a difference. There are chips in the screen so may just replace it round Xmas time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex