Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Drone

Drizt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V L98
Used -> http://www.youtube-mp3.org/

110kmhUpHillWithQuarterPipe.jpg

Got one on the same stretch before the quarter pipes were added

Drizt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V L98
I'm guessing apple format? Got anything in a normal format?

Are these test tones? If not, xforce is even more crap that I imagined even possible (i am assuming your pulling my chain on these files... they sound like test tones)

100.jpg

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
In reality the sound level is almost imperceivable with proper sound deadening, as per myriad cabin video posts and sound spectrum graphs and threads I've bored most people with on the matter, with Helmholtz and industrial soundproofing the V8 drone is eliminated and the AFM drone so low that you can't pick it up in the cabin over other NVH.
Suits me fine :yarr:

Drizt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V L98
In reality the sound level is almost imperceivable with proper sound deadening, as per myriad cabin video posts and sound spectrum graphs and threads I've bored most people with on the matter, with Helmholtz and industrial soundproofing the V8 drone is eliminated and the AFM drone so low that you can't pick it up in the cabin over other NVH.
Suits me fine :yarr:

Looks like a test tone ????

100kmh_testTone.jpg

serial101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series II SSV 6.0L
Hi Everyone - first time poster so I apologise if I ask anything thats already been covered in detail in the thread before, but I have read it end to end and I really would love some help.

I've just started toying around with my VE SSV (Series II - MY12, Sedan, Auto - L77) and had a full stainless 3 inch cat back system fitted last Thursday (AFM turned off in the tune for now). It got its first decent run over the weekend, and the drone @ ~1800 rpm in sixth (basically 120 on the freeway especially on a slight incline) is uncomfortable and really sours the whole experience. The system is apparently out of HPX(?) in Dandenong according to the shop that fitted it and tuned it.

Overall I am happy with the sound, and the work done to the ECU etc, and the new exhaust has definitely improved the response and 'fun factor' although it does drone to a lesser extent in other gears (at slightly lower revs in 5th, lower again in 4th and so on down to ~1500-1600 in 1st) but its not as loud and usually short lived as around town (Sydney) I'm accelerating/decelerating a lot.

I have a few questions that I was hoping you guys could help me with

1) Will the headers I was hoping to have fitted last week (4 into 1, 1 7/8th with 200 cell euro approved cats - not installed yet because I couldnt leave the car long enough with the workshop), but which have to wait till later this week help reduce the drone at all? A little worried it could exacerbate the situation.
2) Would a Helmhotlz Chamber setup be able to smooth out the drone if I go ahead and have the headers and cats mentioned fitted?
3) Whats the best way to record the sound without professional gear (I have access to Apple, Android or Windows phones or I can use a laptop) to work out what frequency I need to have some Helmholtz pipes made up and added to the system to overcome - or recommend someone or a shop in Sydney that could sort it out for me?

Look forward to any suggestions (well the helpful ones at least :p) - thanks in advance for anything that can help me retain my last shreds of sanity (and get the not terribly happy Mrs off my back about the drone).

Last edited:

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Hi Everyone - first time poster so I apologise if I ask anything thats already been covered in detail in the thread before, but I have read it end to end and I really would love some help.

Others will know more than me But this is my story. I had an x-force 2.5 inch cat back. It droned at bit at certain revs but not too bad. After getting it tuned and AFM turned off and an KPM OTR fitting the drone seems gone. As I said it wasn't too bad but now not noticeable and vibration from dropping back to 4 cyls has gone. 3 inch is more likely to drone that 2.5 I think.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
1. No they won't.
2. Yes they will.
3. Probably an Apple App will do it - check with Pirate to see what he uses; and
DG pipes from rapid exhaust in the Gong make straight through 3 inch helm holtz pipes instead of rear cans but you're going to be loud and illegal with those.

serial101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series II SSV 6.0L
Thanks revster and SnowDoggyDogg for sharing your input and experiences :)

Glad to hear the headers won't make things worse!

The hunt for some legal Helmholtz pipes begins - I really don't want the car any louder - I'm already at the limits of getting busted by the most severe law enforcement agency of all - the Minister for War and Finance (the missus) ;)

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Err your first question I read as will the new cats and headers help make the drone go away?
No they won't.
Will they make it worse though is what your really wanting to know... To that I don't think you'll know until you put them on.