Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE HSV R8 Leaking brake master cylinder

velo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SS - Black Edition
Hey Guys.
Was having a look under my bonnet today and noticed that there seems to be a bit of brake fluid on the outside of the reservoir.
The brakes still work fine and there are no other issues.
The level of fluid is still fine so is only leaking a little bit.
It looks as though the cap may not be sealing properly?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

2uc9.jpg

benneth

Reaction score
Hi Velo,

I have a similar thing on my ve v6, just wondering if you found out what the cause was?

cheers, Ben.

velo

Reaction score
Members Ride
I haven't done anything about it because it has slowed down a fair bit, only needs a wipe down once a month. But im pretty sure its a faulty cap. Ill get it looked at next service.

benneth

Reaction score
Thanks for that, its good to know. Cheers!

benneth

Reaction score
I just took my cap off and noticed that there was a bit of sludge on the seating surface on the underside of the cap. I cleaned it off with a rag so will see how that goes and will report back.

velo

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just took my cap off and noticed that there was a bit of sludge on the seating surface on the underside of the cap. I cleaned it off with a rag so will see how that goes and will report back.

I just did the same, my cap looked pretty clean. I haven't wiped mine for around 2 months and there was only a couple of drops on it, so that's pretty good. I'm probably still better off getting a new cap.

benneth

Reaction score
Hey mate, I took my cap off last weekend; inside the cap there is a rubber vent/seal, take this out and wipe off all the residual brake fluid between this and the underside of the cap. The leaking is due to some fluid being between these layers and when the master cylinder lets air out it splatters this fluid onto the external bottle.

velo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey mate, I took my cap off last weekend; inside the cap there is a rubber vent/seal, take this out and wipe off all the residual brake fluid between this and the underside of the cap. The leaking is due to some fluid being between these layers and when the master cylinder lets air out it splatters this fluid onto the external bottle.

Oh really? Thanks mate, I'll give it a go tomorrow. Did it fix the issue completely for you?

benneth

Reaction score
Well its been a week now and there is no brake fluid on the reservoir at all.
Before doing this it was only getting a couple of days before leaking again.

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
its funny I've noticed the same thing with mine, have to give the above idea a go.