Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE LFX Fuel Pressure Regulator

Shitbox Owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE Ute Series 2 LFX
Hi Lads,

My mate has just had the engine replaced in his VE Ute Series 2 LFX. Old one **** a cam or something. Anyway its since thrown a few codes relating to fuel pressure voltage circuits. Is the fuel pressure regulator part of the pump? Cant see it anywhere under the bonnet and info is hard to find on it. I also see that this is a common fault within the ECM. Before i go and get that exchanged or repaired does anybody have any advice or experience with this problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Post up the actual error codes as they will give better information on what needs to be done. Description excerpt below from the Holden VE Service Manual:

Fuel System Diagnosis - Circuit/System Description
The engine control module (ECM) enables the fuel pump relay when the ignition switch is turned ON. The ECM will disable the fuel pump relay within 3 seconds unless the ECM detects ignition reference pulses. The ECM continues to enable the fuel pump relay as long as ignition reference
pulses are detected. The engine control module (ECM) disables the fuel pump relay within 3 seconds if ignition reference pulses cease to be detected and the ignition remains ON.

The fuel system is a returnless on-demand design. The fuel pressure regulator is a part of the primary fuel tank module, eliminating the need for a return pipe from the engine. A returnless fuel system reduces the internal temperature of the fuel tank by not returning hot fuel from the engine
to the fuel tank. Reducing the internal temperature of the fuel tank results in lower evaporative emissions.

An electric turbine style fuel pump attaches to the primary fuel tank module inside the fuel tank. The fuel pump supplies high pressure fuel through the fuel filter, past the fuel pressure regulator, and through the fuel feed line to the fuel injection system. The fuel pressure regulator has a T-joint
that diverts the needed fuel to the fuel rail with the unused fuel dropping back into the reservoir of the primary fuel tank module. The primary fuel tank module contains a reverse flow check valve. The check valve and the fuel pressure regulator maintain fuel pressure in the fuel feed line and the
fuel rail in order to prevent long cranking times.

The primary fuel tank module also contains a primary jet pump and a secondary jet pump. Fuel pump flow loss, caused by vapour expulsion in the pump inlet chamber, is diverted to the primary jet pump and the secondary jet pump through a restrictive orifice located on the pump cover. The
primary jet pump fills the reservoir of the primary fuel tank module. The secondary jet pump creates a venturi action which causes the fuel to be drawn from the secondary side of the fuel tank, through the fuel transfer pipe, to the primary side of the fuel tank.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Be aware that there is a high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) for SIDI attached to the engine to get the fuel rail pressures needed for direct injection and might be cactus or on the way out. AFAIK it is driven by one of the cam shafts so will probably be on the back of the engine.
Good write up about the injection system here - GM 3.6L (boschautoparts.com)
Picture of the pump by itself here - Lfx Injectors and High Pressure Fuel Pump - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Did it have this problem before on the original engine? If you decide you think it's an ECM issue I'd try sending it to a company like Injectronics for testing/repair before I'd try replacing it as using second hand stuff is generally a PITA. They describe stuff like that as issues they're seeing now - Holden SIDI Engine » Injectronics

Last edited:

Jordan1121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF sv6 Ute
Post up the actual error codes as they will give better information on what needs to be done. Description excerpt below from the Holden VE Service Manual:

Fuel System Diagnosis - Circuit/System Description
The engine control module (ECM) enables the fuel pump relay when the ignition switch is turned ON. The ECM will disable the fuel pump relay within 3 seconds unless the ECM detects ignition reference pulses. The ECM continues to enable the fuel pump relay as long as ignition reference
pulses are detected. The engine control module (ECM) disables the fuel pump relay within 3 seconds if ignition reference pulses cease to be detected and the ignition remains ON.

The fuel system is a returnless on-demand design. The fuel pressure regulator is a part of the primary fuel tank module, eliminating the need for a return pipe from the engine. A returnless fuel system reduces the internal temperature of the fuel tank by not returning hot fuel from the engine
to the fuel tank. Reducing the internal temperature of the fuel tank results in lower evaporative emissions.

An electric turbine style fuel pump attaches to the primary fuel tank module inside the fuel tank. The fuel pump supplies high pressure fuel through the fuel filter, past the fuel pressure regulator, and through the fuel feed line to the fuel injection system. The fuel pressure regulator has a T-joint
that diverts the needed fuel to the fuel rail with the unused fuel dropping back into the reservoir of the primary fuel tank module. The primary fuel tank module contains a reverse flow check valve. The check valve and the fuel pressure regulator maintain fuel pressure in the fuel feed line and the
fuel rail in order to prevent long cranking times.

The primary fuel tank module also contains a primary jet pump and a secondary jet pump. Fuel pump flow loss, caused by vapour expulsion in the pump inlet chamber, is diverted to the primary jet pump and the secondary jet pump through a restrictive orifice located on the pump cover. The
primary jet pump fills the reservoir of the primary fuel tank module. The secondary jet pump creates a venturi action which causes the fuel to be drawn from the secondary side of the fuel tank, through the fuel transfer pipe, to the primary side of the fuel tank.

I've got the error code P228c - fuel pressure regulator 1 - low pressure. Being '1' am I right to assume it's reg located at fuel pump rather than rail?

Mikayla

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice S1
I've got the error code P228c - fuel pressure regulator 1 - low pressure. Being '1' am I right to assume it's reg located at fuel pump rather than rail?
Hey mate,

Can I ask what happened to be the problem? I got the same code and my car will now only crank won't idle.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Be aware that there is a high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) for SIDI attached to the engine to get the fuel rail pressures needed for direct injection and might be cactus or on the way out. AFAIK it is driven by one of the cam shafts so will probably be on the back of the engine.
Good write up about the injection system here - GM 3.6L (boschautoparts.com)
Picture of the pump by itself here - Lfx Injectors and High Pressure Fuel Pump - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Did it have this problem before on the original engine? If you decide you think it's an ECM issue I'd try sending it to a company like Injectronics for testing/repair before I'd try replacing it as using second hand stuff is generally a PITA. They describe stuff like that as issues they're seeing now - Holden SIDI Engine » Injectronics
Does this mean that VE Commodores with the SIDI engine have the fuel pump on the engine and not in the fuel tank or is this a supplementary pump to help out the one in the tank?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Does this mean that VE Commodores with the SIDI engine have the fuel pump on the engine and not in the fuel tank or is this a supplementary pump to help out the one in the tank?
direct injection needs a mechanical pump as it goes into the thousands of psi, most will have a supply pump in the tank just to get it to the mechanical pump

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
direct injection needs a mechanical pump as it goes into the thousands of psi, most will have a supply pump in the tank just to get it to the mechanical pump
Okay, wow, thanks for the info.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Yes, they have two pumps. The standard in-tank electric pump that sends fuel to the mechanical high pressure pump at the fuel rail.

Mikayla

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice S1
I've just had the same code currently replacing the high pressure fuel pump. Hopefully that fits the issue as after priming the fuel pumps had 1800 psi and on crank had 30psi. So she wouldn't start will keep you posted on if that got rid of my issue with the p2228 code.