Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE MAF to LS1

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
so is there actually any performance gain with this mod? or just makes for more consistent/better air/fuel ratios?

The standard 74mm MAF on the VT to VY has always been considered a major restriction in the Commodores air intake.

A solution many have chosen in the past has been to fit a VZ Commodores 85mm MAF. This option however requires a retune of the PCM.

This upgrade provides a cheaper 85mm MAF that will flow more air than stock and is plug and play. (It does not need a a new MAF table added to the cars tune.

In saying that, all modified LS1's will benefit greatly from a custom tune.

On a dyno you will see a small peak power improvement with this MAF over a stock MAF. But you would be hard pressed to feel any noticeable difference on the road.

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
so is there actually any performance gain with this mod? or just makes for more consistent/better air/fuel ratios?

With mine Al, i saw more air flow all the way through the revs. More mg per cylinder right through revs but especially down low(Cylair).

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
The standard 74mm MAF on the VT to VY has always been considered a major restriction in the Commodores air intake.

A solution many have chosen in the past has been to fit a VZ Commodores 85mm MAF. This option however requires a retune of the PCM.

This upgrade provides a cheaper 85mm MAF that will flow more air than stock and is plug and play. (It does not need a a new MAF table added to the cars tune.

In saying that, all modified LS1's will benefit greatly from a custom tune.

On a dyno you will see a small peak power improvement with this MAF over a stock MAF. But you would be hard pressed to feel any noticeable difference on the road.

So with this MAF and a tune it'd be on par with a mafless tune ?

And you could hook it up with an OTR with stock tune and not throw a code by being overloaded with airflow ?

This might be worth a toying with.

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
With mine Al, i saw more air flow all the way through the revs. More mg per cylinder right through revs but especially down low(Cylair).

This depends on the maf calibration though, if the old maf was a little dirty it would read lower compared to the new one. The bigger size should help more up top than down low (more airflow = restrictions show up more). Also depends on temperature and barometric pressure. Mine peaks at about 0.75 g/cyl at 25 degrees at sea level.

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6

Most of the tuners in the USA actually say it doesn't make much difference on a stocker, I reckon the Aussie tuners just drummed this up to sell expensive maffless tunes. Makes stuff all difference as far as I can tell, <0.5 kPa change in pressure drop at redline which is worth <0.5% of your power, so a couple of kw maybe.

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
This depends on the maf calibration though, if the old maf was a little dirty it would read lower compared to the new one. The bigger size should help more up top than down low (more airflow = restrictions show up more). Also depends on temperature and barometric pressure. Mine peaks at about 0.75 g/cyl at 25 degrees at sea level.

Sorry i should of explained myself more. You are correct about the restriction showing more in the high revs but what i meant was with standard maf(cleaned with mass air flow cleaner before each logging session) i was getting less mg/per cylinder @ 3500rpm than i was with the LS6 Maf. With standard maf in the peak range(closer to redline) i was maxing out at 700 to 750mg/per cyl as apposed to the LS6 hitting 700 to 750mg/per cyl @ about 3800rpm give or take, peaking @ 900 to 950mg/per cyl closer to redline(redline being about 5900rpm).

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
Interesting, though you'd have to have both mafs calibrated dead on to make the comparison. That's a 25% increase in airflow which should be roughly 25% increase in power, did you dyno before and after? Best way to check for restrictions is to log MAP at redline and compare to key on engine off (atmospheric) MAP, but with a boosted setup there are extra variables there too.

Either way that's pretty healthy airflow for a super6, what sort of power is it making out of interest?

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
Dunno how much power, never been on a dyno. It was road tuned by The1. The new maf certainly made the car snappier :)

It's a standard Ecotec motor with a centrifugal charger too not a super6

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
the maf tables are the same, just extended up top so the limit is now 16khz instead of 10khz and likewise 512G/S instead of 256G/S