Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] VE manual, how to start with clutch out?

dallascowboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
So ive a got a VE V8 manual and it annoys the **** out of me that i have to press the clutch in to start the car.

anyone know if this can be disabled without any other consequences?

think ive found the switch but what would be my next move?

any help appreciated

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Why does it annoy you to start it will the clutch in ?
I jump in the car and its the first thing i do then into first and set off.
Its just a safety feature incase its in gear and some kids goes oh yes ill start it for you oh #### the car just took off lol

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Whenever I drive a manual I always start it with the clutch in - I thought most people did?

dallascowboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
for the most part i park it in the garage in nutral so i either get in, quick wiggle of the stick to confirm the start her up...if its in gear ill take it out then start, usually not with the clutch in as im not driving off right away. been driving like this for over 15 years and never had any accidents......old habits die hard i guess, just wanted to see if anyone knew if it could be done.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
At some point you have to depress the clutch to start moving, so what does it matter if you do it before you start the car or after?

I don't even think about it, I jump in and my left foot automatically (haha) goes on the clutch.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I dont like to start an engine with the clutch in either. I have always thought it would cause extra wear on the thrust washers on the crankshaft, as you are putting pressure on them before there is any oil on them. A neutral safety switch would be a better idea.

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
I find it a pain as well, I always warm my car up for a few minutes but would just like to open the door stick the key in and start it... but I have to get in the car put clutch in then start...then i get out again get all my stuff i need and then jump back in.