Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Navagation system

jakessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
hey guys I just purchased a VE SSV 2009 my10 sedan and just wanted to know if possible what I need to do to get the nav to work, do I have to go to holden to get it fitted?

helmotbros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
If yours doesn't have nav now you will read to buy a completely separate unit in order for it to work. From memory I think it's a 1600-2000 job through jhp. I have thought about it but can't justify the cost.

Maybe an opportunity to upgrade to a series 2 head unit with sat nav.

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
I've heard the head unit/IQ system with sat nav is about $4000, from memory there was someone that posted on here and commented about it being so expensive when his went after the warranty period it was way cheaper to go an aftermarket option.

Can I just say it really S$#TS me off no end that all the series II VEs have the MAP and NAV buttons even though it's only about 5% of the models that have this feature - so on 95% of their production cars holden put redundant buttons in there with no function other than to remind you that you're not part of that elite 5% :upyours:

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Series I SSV and Calais/HSV/Statesman/Caprice models are no different.
They too have the NAV button on the headunit, which will do sweet FA if you do not have Sat Nav fitted.

To fit Sat Nav to an IQ unit, you will need to replace the main IQ unit with one that has Sat Nav fitted.
You can either do a Sat Nav upgrade pack,
or try and source a used IQ unit from fleabay with SatNav, get the new unit programmed up (And may as well enable VIM, reverse cam, etc whilst you are there),
swap over your IQ unit, and sell you old unit on fleabay to try and recoup your costs.
(Ultimate Conversion Wiring sell both the upgrade pack, as well as program used IQ units to work in your car).

Hope this helps ?

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
don't bother the Nav sucks anyway and the map updates are a rip off.

Get a portable unit

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
I think thats really a matter of personal opinion.
Im running an IQ unit with the latest firmware and MY13 Maps, and the thing is pretty close to being perfect for me.
I upgraded my MY11 maps, to the MY13 maps SD Card for $150. (Genuine)

Having a number of work vehicles that use portable Nav units, using having to use these on a day to day basis sucks.

Things that I absolutely hate about portible Sat Nav units having the car windows up, and the stereo off so you can hear the tinnie little voice coming from the crappy speaker.
Having the Nav unit constantly falling off the windscreen, because its held on by a crappy bit of plastic suction cup,
Having a cigarette wire flopping around so as the unit is charged and usable.
Having to put the unit away once you have finished with it, so some lowlife scumbag does cause a couple of hundred dollars worth of damage, to steal the dammm thing to pay for his drug addiction.

If you only use Sat Nav as a once in a blue moon type thing, then yeah, save your money, and buy a cheapy portable unit, or even better use an iPhone or Android device.
If you are using it every single day for visiting customers, sales appointments, service calls, etc, nothing beats having something that is integrated.

Some of the features that I like about the IQ Sat Nav include,
1) Directions are shown (pop up) on the Instrument cluster, as well as the IQ screen.
2) The TMC is very very usable. (I used it successfully Thursday night to route around the traffic chaos caused by the power outage around the Sydney Airport)
3) The Current road speed limit is displayed on the instrument cluster (And the speed will flash if you are driving over the speed limit)
4) The factory Sat Nav works exceptionally well in the city, where tall buildings mean that it is difficult to get a satellite fix. (The factory unit uses the trip meter and an inbuilt compass to guess the direction and distance traveled).

Again, its a matter of personal choice.
For me, I had integrated Sat Nav in my last car for 4 years and I couldn't live without it.
When I bought my Calais, I specific looked for a model with factory sat nav fitted (Series I).
And when I upgraded the Series I headunit to IQ, I specifically sourced a model with Sat Nav fitted.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
It's an expensive proposition but it can be done. IMO (from personal experience as my car has factory satnav) it's far inferior to you $399 TomTom unit which is the way i'd go if I were in your situation (which I used various units for the previous 6 years)

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
I have the sat nav in my series 1 VE Calais. Only used it a couple of times, and although it gets the job done, I found it pretty un-user friendly and figgity. I don't really need it so not fussed, but if I did need one, and didn't have the factory unit already, I would recommend getting a good aftermarket double din type unit with a good sat nav system included.

While we're on the subject. Does anyone know how to adjust the voice volume for the sat nav? When I have used it, the stereo will be playing music, and I can just hear the sat nav voice ever so faintly in the background. Not sure if this is a fault, or if the music is suppose to dim or cut out when the voice command occurs, or if the voice command volume can just be turned up? Tried looking for a volume option, but had no luck. Can anyone help?

Scruba

Wanderer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
While we're on the subject. Does anyone know how to adjust the voice volume for the sat nav? When I have used it, the stereo will be playing music, and I can just hear the sat nav voice ever so faintly in the background. Not sure if this is a fault, or if the music is suppose to dim or cut out when the voice command occurs, or if the voice command volume can just be turned up? Tried looking for a volume option, but had no luck. Can anyone help?

While in Nav, hit config and volume control is in there.