Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Oil Transmission Cooler for caravan towing

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Look at your rad where the cooler lines go in, does one go to the front of the car like behind the bumper and one come back from there? If so you have a cooler. If Holden sell a 'cooling pack' on a 4L60E for 2100kg towing that doesn't have a cooler, then I'm astounded, these puppies need cooling in a big way.

seasmi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Just some official info on the VE Cooling system:

"The improvements in the VE include:

Cooling System
• Holden has switched from the traditional Commodore cross-flow radiator to down flow. The top and bottom radiator tanks now match the full width of the radiator and are no longer restricted to radiator height as previously. The transmission cooler in the bottom tank grows from the VZ's 290mm to 450mm for a huge lift in cooling capacity.
• A new power steering cooler is installed in the bottom row of the air-conditioning condenser for a similar boost in cooling capacity and a 20 per cent reduction in fluid temperatures during power-steering abuse testing.
• The V6 models have a 24mm radiator core while the V8 is boosted to 40mm.
• Twin puller fans with new blade designs provide 70 per cent coverage of the radiator core compared to 55 per cent for the VZ. These new fans exploit new airflow distribution based on computational fluid dynamics that optimize a path into the engine bay then under.
• Radiator cooling fans for the V6 models now have three speeds. Although the V8 continues with two speeds, the fan design is all new.
• A new radiator cap design with two O-ring seals separates the sealing function from the pressure relief valve so that sealing is not disturbed when the pressure relief valve opens and shuts.
• The new Condenser Radiator Fan Module (radiator, condenser and fans) is supplied by Behr, South Africa, a manufacturer which also supplies BMW.
• Coolant is a new premium long life specification. A large and easily accessed radiator drain plug allows fast draining and capture of the coolant without contamination during repairs for re-use and environmental safety.
• The standard cooling system does not require any upgrades for the 2100kg tow pack, highlighting the big margin for everyday usage."

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe Sportswagon LPG
Hi stubec16,

I have a genuine Holden 2100 kg towbar installed on my 3.6 litre 2008 Berlina. It was installed by a Holden dealer. You mention that I should have "cooling package" installed. Is there any way that I can tell by looking under the bonnet whether there is a transmission cooler already installed?

You also mention about not driving in overdrive when towing. My Berlina is a 4 speed automatic with Drive, 3rd, 2nd and 1st. Do you mean that when towing don't drive it in Drive but it's better to drive it in 3rd? I have been driving it in Drive but with Sports Mode button on

AFAIK, the only difference between the 1600kg tow bar and 2100 kg tow bar is the addition of the 'cooling pack' and maybe provision for load levelers, but the bar is the same. The 'cooling package' is NOT a transmission cooler, it IS an additional/ different fan.

If you have the 4 spd, definitely tow in 3. I blew a tranny in a VS (same auto) towing a 1000kg camper trailer in overdrive (D), although the oilways in the radiator were apparently partly blocked as well. Sport mode will hold the gears longer giving more response when towing.

If someone has fitted a transmission oil cooler (aftermarket) you can usually see it by looking through the front lower grille it will be a small radiator type thing maybe 1/3 to 1/2 as wide as the coolant radiator.

SSVAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Ute
I was thinking of a additional cooler for my ute, however I put the engineering mode on the dash and watched the trans temp. It did not go up more than normal running temp.
So there was not need to fit the cooler in my case.

canadakid111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I was thinking of a additional cooler for my ute, however I put the engineering mode on the dash and watched the trans temp. It did not go up more than normal running temp.

How do you put the engineering mode on the dash on? I didn't realise that there was a display for the transmission temperature?

canadakid111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina

I've worked out how to put it in engineering mode and for the last week or so I've been monitoring the "Trans Sump" temp. It has been generally around 80 deg. Today I went for a long drive up the South Eastern Freeway leaving Adelaide to Mount Barker. The first part of the South Eastern Freeway out of Adelaide is about 10 km, straight up a long hill. The outside temp was around 15 deg. I monitored the Trans Sump temp carefully. It rose steadily and slowly reached 108 deg, by which time I had reached the top of the freeway. Once over the top the temp dropped down to 83 deg and sat around this until I got home about 1/2 hr. later.

This trip didn't involve towing anything. No caravan or trailer. Nothing at all.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts. Are these temps about right? What would be the difference in temp if I was towing a van?